This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

One of the best parts of heading home for break after a long semester of mostly dining hall food is having unlimited access to a full kitchen, instead of having to make do with a microwave and a toaster. Here are five recipes to try over winter break to feed yourself, your friends or your family.

Image courtesy of Unsplash

Soft Pretzels

Nothing is better than a warm soft pretzel, and homemade ones are even better. I like to make honey mustard as a dip for these.

Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cookies

These cookies are like the bakery version of a Reese’s peanut butter cup – they’re soft, chewy, a bit salty. Make sure you make extra to share, as you’ll want to keep several for yourself.

Guacamole

My family makes this guacamole so much that it’s almost expected that we bring it to family gatherings or book club meetings. My mom prefers the maximum amount of garlic, but I feel that it can overpower it, so I add only about half a clove.

Pita Chips with Cucumber Dip

The cool, refreshing taste of the cucumber, mint, and yogurt dip perfectly accompanies the spice of the pita chips. If you don’t have time to make the pita chips from scratch, you can sprinkle the seasonings inside a store-bought bag, close it and shake it up to evenly coat the chips.

Maple Peanut Butter Popcorn

Several years ago, I tried experimenting with popcorn seasoning flavors and came up with this combination. It sounds odd at first but the sweetness of the maple and the saltiness of the peanut butter combine well. I usually mix together a few tablespoons of maple syrup, a tablespoon and a half of peanut butter and a little pat of butter in a microwave-safe bowl then heat it up for several seconds in the microwave. Mix well, then pour over a few cups of popcorn.

Madison Cassidy

Bryn Mawr '19

English major, class of 2019. Avid reader, fan of fluffy animals, devourer of film and television journalism and critique, and often searching for the best cheap eats.
Diana Beninati

Bryn Mawr '21

Bryn Mawr College 2021