stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Tips for a Healthier Easter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Everyone has been trying to jump on the health bandwagon recently. With Easter coming up, there are many things you can do to save yourself thousands of calories on Sunday. Follow these tips and you’ll be sure to feel less bloated and better about yourself at the end of the day.

Avoid the Easter Candy

This is probably the biggest problem on Easter. This national holiday is known for the amount of candy everyone consumes. Who doesn’t love Cadbury eggs or Starburst jelly beans? We’re not saying don’t allow yourself to have any, but portion it out. Don’t grab an entire handful; take a few and make them last longer. Stay away from the large chocolate Easter bunnies and definitely stay away from the Peeps.

Use a Smaller Plate

Using a smaller place is a great idea in any situation when you are trying to keep an eye on calorie intake. Easter can be full of carbs, depending on the kind of family you are from. Pierogis, fried dough, and mashed potatoes can be a crowd favorite amongst different households. It is okay to eat a little bit of carbs, but with a smaller plate it is easier to limit yourself to certain items rather than have an “eyes bigger than your stomach” outlook.

Start with the Salad

By starting with the salad, you’ll be less likely to eat as much throughout the rest of the meal. Filling up on the healthy stuff to begin with will deter you from wanting more unhealthy stuff as the day goes on. As for dressings, choose things that are less heavy. Go for the vinaigrette over the ranch, this will save hundreds of calories that can be consumed elsewhere.

Stick with Water

This is an easy one. Water will always be better than any drink that is at the party. Again, by sticking with water the amount of calories you will save yourself is crazy. Add lemon or frozen fruit to the water to give it some color, nutrients, and taste.

Hard Boiled Eggs

Hard boiled eggs are great for protein, and they are sure to be on your Easter dinner table. These eggs are often fun colored thanks to all the little munchkins in the room. They are very filling and contain tons of protein and nutrients. Easter is all about the eggs isn’t it? Eat these instead of the Cadbury ones!

Ask for a Healthier Easter Basket

This is very simple. Often, we all receive some type of candy (usually chocolate) on Easter. That’s totally fine; it’s tradition! But instead of going for the white or milk chocolate, ask for dark. Tell your relatives that you are trying to be healthier and they’ll hopefully try and help you out.

Ham vs. Kielbasa

If you participate in a polish Easter, both of these meats will definitely be on your dinner table. Do not go for the Kielbasa, it is full of fat and has much less protein than ham. Yes, ham may not be the leanest meat but it is 100 times better than the kielbasa. Make this healthy swap for a better holiday.

Chocolate Covered Strawberries

These are definitely a must. Not only are the absolutely delicious, but they are much healthier than any dessert that Easter has to offer. While everyone is nibbling on cookies, cakes, and pies, enjoy some nice chocolate covered strawberries. If you are feeling extra healthy, go for the dark chocolate covered ones.

Grab a Buddy

Ask a family member to eat healthy with you, too. By having someone else there to watch you and see what you eat, you’ll be less likely to touch the cookies and more apt to go for the fruit. Eating healthy together will make life way easier on your Easter Sunday.

Bryant University Class of 2019 I am a caffeine dependent human being that enjoys avoiding all responsibilities. Blogging is a new passion of mine, hope you're a supporter. Love all the homies that read my articles. Xoxo B