Jodie Sweetin Talks Drug and Alcohol Abuse with Bryant University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Thanks to the Student Arts and Speakers Series Committee, Bryant University students had the opportunity to listen to Jodie Sweetin speak of her struggles with drug and alcohol abuse. On October 25th, 2016 any Bryant student with interest in Jodie Sweetin’s life was able to attend a conversation between her and author Sara Benincasa.

Sara Benincasa has published five books, her most recent one titled Real Artists Have Day Jobs, and she is also a stand-up comedian. Aside from this, Benincasa dropped out of college at 21 to get help for herself because she had suicidal thoughts along with anxiety and depression. Benincasa shared her story with us about how she knew it was time to get help when she became too anxious to even leave her home. Her light humor and knowledge on the subject made her a perfect candidate to converse with Jodie Sweetin on her own drug and alcohol abuse.

Sweetin shared with us that she was adopted at the age of 14 months. Both of her biological parents were alcohol and drug addicts. Her mother was in jail at the time of her birth, so she was born in a prison hospital. Her father was also in prison at the time, and shortly after her birth, he died in a prison riot. She was taken in by her mother’s friend and cared for by his schizophrenic ex-wife. However, this was not an ideal situation for her either, and when she was nine months old her adoptive parents found her and she was officially adopted at 14 months.

At the age of nine, Sweetin’s adoptive mother told her her story. She said this was a turning point for her; her family had always told her she was special and perfect the way she was. When she found out her story she said that she was happy that her adoptive parents wanted her, but now she knew that someone out there had given her up. Also, because of the industry she was in, she had been told not to talk about her background to avoid any controversy.

Sweetin started her acting career at the age of four and a half, where she guest starred in the show The Hogan Family. After this guest appearance, she was casted to play Stephanie Tanner on a new show coming out, Full House. It was clear that Sweetin had a talent; she could pick up a script at four years old and act it out perfectly. She loved performing and it was her niche.

From the ages of 5-13 years old, Sweetin starred in Full House. Sweetin stated, “It is very hard growing up in this business,” and that everyone had certain expectations for who she was supposed to be. She fought between wanting to meet the expectations of those who saw her as Stephanie Tanner and being the complete opposite. She thought that being the complete opposite of her character is who she should be, and that is what she did. She began drinking more, partying harder than anyone she knew, and it started to identify her. At the age of 13 years old, Sweetin began to abuse alcohol and drugs. She talked about how 13 was a terrible age, everyone thought they knew things and they really didn’t, including herself.

During the Q&A a question was asked to Sweetin about when she knew she needed to get help. She said it was clear to her that in high school she knew she needed help, but didn’t want it. In college she began to want the help but didn’t know how to go about getting it. Her first semester she managed to get a 0.9 GPA and this is when she became more willing and ready to seek help. Willingness is always the key. If you are willing to show up for your life, then you can get through anything.

Sweetin shared that alcohol became a connector for her to her birth parents. The pain and guilt of being adopted started to get to her. “Everything just kind of created the perfect storm,” Sweetin stated. Her book, titled UnSweetined, was the first time she openly talked about being adopted. The shame and guilt weighed on her heavily, but as she started to talk about it, the guilt began to release. She also shared in her book that when she decided she wanted to get clean, she had a realization that the person she had become wasn’t who she truly was, or who she identified herself as. Sweetin has been sober for five and a half years now, and has not consumed drugs or alcohol in over eight years.

Sweetin stated that “the great thing about discovery is that there is no end.” She is still working to be the best person she can be for her two children, and she believes she now has a different tool box of resources access, rather than drugs and alcohol.

On a lighter note, Sweetin also talked about how close the cast of Full House still is to this day. “Something really magically happened with our group of people,” was one of the ways Sweetin worded their relationships. They became a real family over the course of the years and they all still celebrate many milestones in each other’s lives together. The experience to her was very meaningful and she is grateful to have had it.

As for updates regarding Sweetin’s acting career, there is a second season of Fuller House being released on Netflix December 9th. Sweetin will also be starring in a new show titled, Hollywood Darlings. The show is an adult unscripted comedy in which her and a few other stars act as heightened, crazy versions of themselves. The air date for this show has not been released yet but watch out for it!

Remember that a drug or alcohol addiction is a disease and if you or anyone you know needs help do not hesitate to dial the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration National Hotline (SAMHSA), 1 (800) 662-HELP (4357). This offers around the clock help in finding local drug treatment centers. Addiction can be sneaky, get help before it is too late.

You can also contact Bryant University Counseling Services at  (401) 232-6045.

Bryant University Class of 2019 I am a caffeine dependent human being that enjoys avoiding all responsibilities. Blogging is a new passion of mine, hope you're a supporter. Love all the homies that read my articles. Xoxo B