How to (Easily) Prevent the Freshman Fifteen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryant chapter.

Let’s be real. It’s almost impossible to make it to the gym every day with the amounts of homework, group projects, and Netflix that college students have to keep up with. There will be days where getting out of bed may feel impossible, so going to the gym is just out of the question. The following exercises can all be done in your dorm room (while watching Netflix) in only a few minutes. Try using these exercises in a variety of ways and create your own workout! Exercising is very important when trying to stay healthy, and each of these exercises will target different body parts, making you feel like you didn’t miss a day at the gym!

Tricep Dips

Tricep dips are an easy way to shape your arms. In your dorm they can be done with a chair or side of couch. 10-12 repetitions can easily be done between homework problems or while watching your favorite show.

Photo

Jump Squats

Jump squats are another fun exercise to do when you have a little extra energy. We promise you, these will be felt the next morning. 15 of these in a row will leave your legs screaming. To add a personal touch to them, another favorite is what we call “prisoner jumps” by putting your hands on the back of your head as if you are about to do a sit up. Leave your hands there the entire time you are doing the jump squat, it will burn!

Photo

Push Ups

Although they are as basic as it can get, pushups are a very effective exercise. They can be easily spiced up by putting your feet at an incline, or doing diamond pushups by putting your hands closer together in a diamond position. This exercise works to strengthen your core and build your tricep and pectoral muscles. Who doesn’t want those perfect tank top arms with summer on the way?

Photo

Burpees

These things are definitely not a crowd favorite but they are GREAT for your body. Not only do they get your heart rate bumping, but they target muscles that are essential for fat burning. Burpees are a full body exercise where you start in a standing position, squat down, kick your legs back, do a push up, come back into a squatting position, and finish by jumping up from the squatting position. You only have to do about three of these to really feel the burn, try doing 10 repetitions about three times throughout your workout and you will be sure to feel them the next day.

Photo

Lunges

Lunges are another effective leg workout. There are many different ways to perform a lunge. Walking lunges, side lunges, and reverse lunges are all great options. Try switching up how you lunge when doing different sets to target different leg muscles. Incorporating a jump in between your lunges will raise your heart rate and burn extra calories.

Photo

Wall Sits

Another wonderful classic. Wall sits are often a timed exercise. Basically, you pretend you are sitting in a chair with your back up against the wall. This can be done in any dorm room while watching Netflix. Super easy, super effective. Do them as many times as you would like to strength the legs and build core muscles. Try increasing the amount of time you spend in the wall sit as you go to build more muscle.

Photo

Jumping Jacks

Who doesn’t love jumping jacks? Make them a fun exercise by spinning in circles as you go or clapping your hands above your head. These guys are an excellent form of cardio that is sure to have your heart rate soaring only after a few. They are quick, easy, and fun, and can be done just about anywhere at any time.

Photo

All of these exercises target major body parts and muscles and will leave you feeling the burn. Just because you are working out in your dorm room doesn’t mean it isn’t a good workout! Incorporating other cardio exercises such as high knees, butt kicks, and mountain climbers will be sure to have your heart racing and your body sweating. Take these exercises into consideration the next time you don’t feel like going to the gym. Have fun!

Bryant University Class of 2019 I am a caffeine dependent human being that enjoys avoiding all responsibilities. Blogging is a new passion of mine, hope you're a supporter. Love all the homies that read my articles. Xoxo B