nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nathan fertig y0HerwKQLMk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Tips for Mental Wellness in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

When most people think of October, their minds go straight to Halloween. While this is one of the best parts of the month, there are also other meaningful events that occur. For one, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Also during this past month of October, we recognized Mental Illness Awareness Week. Congress established this for the first week of October in 1990, and since then the week has been used to raise awareness for mental illness. Mental Illness Awareness Week has come and gone, but it is important to keep in mind the prevalence of mental illness, especially among us college students. Here are some tips to maintain your mental health throughout the stress of college life.

Prioritize sleep

It can be easy to lose track of time and let it get way too late before going to bed. School work piles up and late nights are a given whenever you go out, so college is not exactly supportive of a healthy sleep schedule. However, sleep is imperative to your mental well-being. While it is not realistic for every night, do your best to get at least eight hours when you are able to– it can go a long way for your attitude and energy level. 

Find a hobby you love

Discovering an activity that you enjoy will add a stress relief component to your schedule. Some people already have their favorite hobby, but if you don’t, I encourage you to find one. For me, playing club lacrosse and writing for Her Campus are perfect additions to my schedule. The key to choosing the right activity is making sure it is something you truly enjoy. Having something fulfilling to look forward to can improve your mood and sense of belonging.

Stay active

Exercise to get your endorphins going! There is nothing better than getting a good sweat in to release any negative thoughts in your head. We are lucky to have great exercise facilities at the Nelson, so you should use them whenever you get the chance. If the gym is not for you, try going on jogs/walks or taking up an intramural or club sport. Exercising can increase your sense of accomplishment and self-confidence.

Take a break from social media

Whenever I get too overwhelmed, I delete social media apps from my phone for as long as I need. This coping mechanism can help clear your head. You won’t realize how much time you spend on your phone until you delete apps like Instagram and Snapchat for a week and have so much more time to be productive. Also, scrolling through social media can cause negative thoughts for some people, so taking a break from it may help this issue.

Eat well

Fueling your body with proper nutrition can go a long way. We feel our best when we are eating healthy, nutritious foods. Although the dining hall can make it somewhat difficult, do your best to incorporate fruits and vegetables into your meals. Drinking enough water to stay hydrated is another key part of wellness. Making sure you eat healthy foods and drink plenty of water will increase both mental and physical health.

Seek help if needed

Brown has a variety of resources that you can utilize if you are experiencing issues with your mental health. There are mental health services provided through CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services). CAPS provides counseling, as well as many other programs like trainings and skills workshops. Located on the 5th floor of Page-Robinson, you can contact CAPS at 401-863-3476 or counseling@health.brown.edu.

While these tips can not solve serious mental health issues, they can help improve your overall mental well-being. Prioritizing your mental wellness is essential to leading a healthy life. Always know there is easy access to help on campus if you need it. 

Hannah is a sophomore at Brown from the D.C. area in Virginia. She is concentrating in public policy.
Campus Correspondent for Brown University's Chapter