micah and paul on love is cling
micah and paul on love is cling
Netflix

The Rise of Reality TV Romance: How ‘Love Is Blind’ & Other Shows Are Changing the Way We View Love & Relationships

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Reality TV has become a ubiquitous part of modern entertainment, with shows like The Bachelor, Love Island, and Love is Blind dominating the cultural conversation. These shows feature contestants vying for love and romance in front of a national audience. The drama, tears, and heartbreak that ensue each checkered episode have captivated viewers around the world. But as the popularity of these shows continues to grow, questions are emerging about their impact on our perceptions of love and relationships.

Love is Blind, which premiered on Netflix in 2020, is one of the most popular and controversial reality TV shows in recent memory. The premise of the show is simple: contestants are placed in “pods” where they can talk to each other but cannot see each other. They must choose a partner based solely on their conversations, and only after they have made a connection are they allowed to see each other in person. The show then follows the couples as they navigate their relationships in the real world, with all the drama and tension that comes with it.

One of the most striking elements of Love is Blind is how it challenges our preconceptions about love and relationships. The show emphasizes emotional connections over physical attraction and encourages contestants to open up and be vulnerable with each other. It also shows that relationships can be messy, complicated, and unpredictable, with couples facing a range of obstacles and challenges as they try to make things work.

But while Love is Blind has been praised for its innovative approach to romance, it has also been criticized for its focus on drama and spectacle. Some argue that shows like Love is Blind prioritize entertainment over authenticity and that the contestants are more interested in gaining fame and notoriety than finding true love.

Despite these criticisms, reality TV romance is here to stay. These formulaic shows have become a cultural phenomenon, with millions of viewers tuning in each week to watch the drama unfold. And while they may not always provide a realistic portrayal of love and relationships, they offer valuable insights into human behaviour and psychology.

One of the most important lessons is the power of vulnerability and emotional connection. Love is Blind demonstrates that meaningful relationships require openness, honesty, and a willingness to take risks. The show also ably illustrates how contestants navigate conflicts between the mind and the heart. 

Ultimately, the rise of reality TV romance reflects our culture’s fascination with love and relationships. These shows offer a window into the complexities and contradictions of human connections and provide a platform for exploring some of the most profound and universal experiences of our lives. While they may not always offer a realistic portrayal of romance, they can help us better understand our own desires, fears, and aspirations, providing us with a shared language for talking about love in all its many forms.

Cecilia Sarantopoulos is the chapter leader and editor-in-chief of Her Campus at Brown University. She oversees the chapter's published content, social media presence, and brand deals. Beyond Her Campus, Cecilia is pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in Comparative Literature (focusing on English & French) and Theatre Arts. Her written work on culture and style has been featured in prestigious publications, such as Marie Claire Greece and Huffington Post Greece. Cecilia is also a classically trained ballerina and a published poet. In her free time, she stays updated with media trends and the current digital landscape, with a soft spot for all things Disney. Enjoying a warm cup of tea, engaging in water sports, and watching a classic rom-com round out her list of beloved pastimes.