Wellness

SIX SIMPLE STRESS RELIEVING TECHNIQUES TO IMPROVE YOUR COLLEGE LIFESTYLE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

Make a Schedule

There are few situations more stressful than having a full schedule, a list of to-dos, and no action plan for how to get everything done. It therefore comes as no surprise that high on the priority list for Her Campus members is planning out their days the night before. Elle Horst, marketing and social media director for Brown Her Campus, says, “I make a schedule 30 minutes before bedtime and I make sure to schedule one self care activity and time for chores.” Creating a structured plan for the day, which lays out classes, action items, and self-care activities, can greatly relieve the unnecessary stress that accumulates when we go into our days without a schedule.

Prioritize Sleep

We all know that sleep is important for our mental and physical health as college students, but with our endlessly hectic schedules, it can be hard to prioritize. At Her Campus, however, members acknowledge that neglecting sleep only exacerbates stress and makes productive days impossible. Maggie Seidel, president of Brown Her Campus, protects her mental wellbeing through a foolproof night routine and an early bedtime. “I lay out my outfit, set up my bag, and then read” before heading to bed early. Putting down the phone, winding down, and getting six-eight hours of sleep will put you in the best mindset to conquer the busy day ahead. 

Exercise

Movement in any form is a proven way to reduce stress, as it pumps up endorphins and improves mood. Sophie Jaeger, writer for Brown Her Campus, prioritizes working out during her busy days, whether it is “pilates, spin, or even just a walk on the treadmill”. Carve out some time during your day to take a quick walk, go to the school gym, or take a fun workout class at a local spot. Your body and mind will thank you. 

Reach out to your Support System

Socializing as a college student is often reserved for the weekends, when we have more time, but when we are feeling stressed, anxious, or burned out, the best reset can often be time with friends. Prioritizing our social support networks during the week can markedly improve mood during challenging days. Cassy Coleman, writer for Brown Her Campus, makes time for social connections by meeting her friends for a quick meal during the day. Maggie Seidel calls her mom after long days. Whatever way you connect with friends and family, you will likely leave the interaction a little less stressed and a little more prepared to carry out the rest of your day. 

Make Time for Pleasurable Activities

If you are anything like us, you may have a penchant for filling up your schedule with classes, school work, chores, and to-dos, while neglecting activities that truly fill up your cup. Pleasurable activities are just as important as the items on our to-do list, as they can help improve mood and give your life more meaning. “Listening to music on my way to class and audiobooks while doing chores” are two ways Cassy Coleman incorporates enjoyment into her days. For Elle Horst, meditation “puts me in a good mindset for the day”. Whether it is baking, yoga, or listening to your favorite podcast, find an activity that brings you joy and carve out even just 10 minutes a day to engage in it to destress. 

Set Time Limits on Your Phone

It can be a nearly innate reflex to open Instagram or TikTok the moment you have a minute of free time in the day. You start scrolling and then realize you have spent one hour on content that neither destresses nor uplifts you. Nearly every Her Campus member I spoke to mentioned putting down their phone and picking up something else as a way to de-stress and protect their mental health. While it can be difficult to detach yourself from the phone, studies show that social media is linked to depression and anxiety. Boost your mood and your self-esteem by closing the apps and meeting up with a friend in person or choosing a fun book to read.

Alexandra Tucker is a writer at Brown's Her Campus chapter from Boston, Massachusetts. She writes on style, culture, food, and Providence. Alex is currently a junior at Brown University, concentrating in Public Health and Health and Human Biology. She is a volunteer at The Miriam Hospital in Providence, is a member of the Women's Health Advocacy Group, manages the social media account of Fashion @ Brown, and belongs to the Kappa Delta sorority. In her free time, Alex enjoys doing yoga, frequenting cute cafes around Providence and Boston, doing New York Times crossword puzzles, and exploring Brown's campus on foot with a good podcast.