Wellness

Reformed-Lazy Girl’s Guide to a Bedtime Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Brown chapter.

In the chaos of college life, sleep is sacred. A good night’s rest can lead to either a dreary or dreamy day.

So, your bedtime routine should be a ritual of relaxation and rejuvenation. That means no more late-night Netflix binges, panic-induced Red Bulls, and definitely no endless Tik Tok scrolls. As a reformed lazy girl, I have crafted the perfect realistic bedtime routine that will set anyone up for success.

Set the Mood

Turn off those obnoxious overhead lights and set the evening’s mood with soft, ambient lighting. I always feel most comforted when I have my sunset lamp on and nothing feels cozier than string lights. Next, release any negative energy from the day by putting on your favorite chill playlist. After this, a hot cup of tea soothes my body. My favorites for nighttime are chamomile, lavender, and ginger, but any tea works as long as it’s decaffeinated.

Prep For Tomorrow

I find that the nights I can’t fall asleep are filled with racing thoughts of all I have to do the next day. If you’re anxious like me, it’s crucial to clear your head before winding down for the night. Finish all of your two minute tasks like tidying up your room or sending emails.

Ending the night with a sense of accomplishment makes me wake up with a positive mindset. Then, I write tomorrow’s schedule and to-do list. If I’m feeling ambitious, this is the time I spend picking out tomorrow’s outfit so that I feel fully prepared for the next day.

Do Your Self Care

I love using my nighttime self care routine to pamper myself. I take a hot shower using my favorite smelling body wash and imagine stress and negativity washing off me. After showering, I take the time to do my full skincare routine. Your morning skin will thank you. Then, I finish up my self care by putting on a cute pajama set. Acting like you have your life together, even if you absolutely don’t, is key to your bedtime routine.

Wind Down

Now, it’s time for me to set my alarm and for the sake of my REM cycle, put my phone down. To help me fight off the brain rot urges to pick up my phone, I put it out of arm’s reach. I like to end my day by practicing mindfulness and gratitude. If there’s anything from the day still bothering me, I write it down in my journal and navigate myself towards a peaceful conclusion. Lastly, I end my routine with a book. For those of you who “don’t read”, try reading for just ten minutes. Your book of choice does not need to be Moby Dick, pick whatever you will enjoy

Create Your Ideal Sleep Environment

When it comes to sleep, your environment is the game-changer. Adjust to your preferred temperature, keep a quiet room to avoid sound disruptions, be in total darkness, and aim for seven to nine hours. I know it can be hard to do this if you’re living with a roommate like me. I recommend sleeping with white noise or music and wearing a sleep mask, so nothing your beloved, but noisy roommate does can stop you from having the best sleep of your life.

The most important thing to remember while establishing your own bedtime routine is to be kind to yourself. There will be days when you are too exhausted to follow a skincare regimen and days when you simply don’t care enough to wear cute pajamas. That is okay, do what you can.

Your best sleep comes when you are at peace with yourself.

Cassandra is a sophomore at Brown University studying Political Science and Economics. She belongs to Kappa Delta Sorority and is a member of Ivy Film Festival's Business and DEI teams. In her free time Cassandra enjoys getting a sweet treat with friends, reading thriller novels, and watching the Kardashians.