Wellness > Health

Treat Culture: It’s Time to Start Looking After Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

Let’s be honest, sometimes it’s hard to admit to yourself that you need a break. But now it’s getting to that time of year, where essay deadlines are on the horizon whilst warmer weather and the promise of spring fun approaches, achieving that wholly desired work-life balance can feel completely unattainable. It’s important to take time in these months to take a step back and realise that you might need something extra to get you through your day. This is where treat culture fits in, and it’s by no means a bad lifestyle habit to adapt to help you look after yourself that little bit better.

The premise of treat culture isn’t hard, it’s simply giving yourself something small each day (or as often as you need) to keep you going and boost your mood. A treat doesn’t have to be something big or expensive either, it could just be taking a bath, lighting that unused candle, or spending an afternoon reading a new book snuggled up in bed. Especially at this time of year it is important to recognise the benefits of this as the days are still short and there is an undeniable sense of gloom when it’s still getting dark at 5:30pm and your walk home is windy and wet.

For a lot of people, and that’s me included, the idea of treating yourself can feel a bit strange. What am I treating myself for, I ask? Did I do anything to deserve this? Recently, I’ve come to see that these thoughts are just one of habit – and a dangerous one at that. We live in a world that tells us we need to be doing something worthwhile or, dare I say it, productive all day, every day, and that taking a break when we haven’t actually achieved anything would be wrong. But really, who’s checking?

Possibly the most commonly misunderstood thing about treat culture is that treating yourself equals a loss of self-control or is a negative indulgence. Once you’ve started it might be hard to stop and then where would you be if you ended up spending money on that extra coffee before a morning lecture every day, or ordering clothes online just because you’re feeling a bit down. The truth is that this really wouldn’t happen. You know your budget and you know your limits so what reason would you have to go out of control? I should point out that neither of these things (a coffee or a bit of online shopping) are very extravagant treats and your worries about going ‘out of control’ with either of them might just be a sign that you’re restricting yourself too much right now. Sometimes it’s important to simply trust and listen to your body and when you might need that extra boost to get through the day. 

Another reason why it can be difficult to treat yourself is because it’s so much easier (and nicer) when someone else prompts you to do so. I love to be told that I’ve been working hard and ‘deserve’ a treat, but realistically it is time I started looking after myself because I can’t always rely on someone else being there to do it for me. So this is your sign to do so too, and if this means one small, comforting treat every day then so be it! It is important to spend time on yourself, no matter how backward and strange that might feel. Go and buy yourself that cookie you’ve been craving or settle down with a trashy magazine and a cup of tea. Try not to let those intrusive, guilty thoughts get in your way. Spring and summer are on their way but, for now, you can make what feels like an everlasting winter that little bit more pleasant.

Kashvi Cox

Bristol '26

Hello, my name is Kashvi and I am an English undergraduate at the University of Bristol. This is my first year writing for Her Campus and I'm particularly excited to contribute to the wellness, food and lifestyle sections. Outside of my studies I love to dance, run and do anything sporty! I am also keen to get into the world of journalism and start to establish my own personal style of writing.