absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Student Oven: Banana, Oat & Nut Breakfast Muffins

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

With 2016 well underway, The Student Oven is going on a bit of a health kick and there’s no better way to start it than with these scrumptious breakfast muffins, which are full of fibre and nutrients. Flavoursome and satisfying, they make a perfect breakfast or a healthy yet indulgent snack at any time of the day! Experiment with your own favourite fillings and flavours: the dried fruit and nuts suggested are only a starting point.

Makes 12 large muffins or 24 fairy cakes

Ingredients

·       125g plain flour and 75g wholemeal flour or 200g plain flour

·       200g rolled oats

·       75g brown sugar

·       3tsp baking powder

·       1tsp cinnamon

·       2 medium-sized bananas, mashed roughly

·       2 large eggs, yolk separated from whites

·       2tbsp sunflower oil

·       250ml semi-skimmed milk

·       50g currants/raisins/sultanas

·       3tbsp crunchy peanut butter

·       50g nuts (walnuts worked well)

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas mark 6.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder and cinnamon.
  3. Make a well in the middle of the combined dry ingredients and add the mashed banana, egg yolks, milk, oil and peanut butter. Mix gently but thoroughly with a wooden spoon, taking care not to overmix.
  4. In a separate, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks have formed.
  5. Then, carefully fold the egg whites into the other mixing bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
  6. Add the currants and nuts and mix in.
  7. Carefully scoop spoonfuls of the mixture into the muffin tin. Either use paper or silicone cases, or lightly grease each mould with butter to avoid sticking.
  8. Put the muffins into the oven to bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. To check whether they are done, insert a clean, metal skewer into the centre of one of the muffins; if the skewer comes out clean, they are cooked.
  9. Leave to cool for 10 minutes in the tin and then remove the muffins from the tin. You may need to slip a soft-bladed knife around the muffin to ease them out, but they should easily pop out.

10.  Enjoy!  

Hey! I'm Claire and I'm a first year student at Bristol studying French and German. I love reading, writing, baking and blogging and am loving Bristol life so far.
Her Campus magazine