10 Ways to Save Money as a Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bristol chapter.

As students, budgeting is constantly on our minds. With a vast amount of temptations at our fingertips, its difficult to know what/how to say no to money guzzling opportunities. Here are some useful tips on how to save money that I’ve collected from talking to my friends. You might not have thought of some of these before…

• Waitrose
    • Free coffee and tea, need I say more?
  • Find a partner
    • Have plenty of one night stands, preferably with a follow-up date. Plan these dates well – if you’re lucky (and they pay), you might get a hearty breakfast that will fill you up for the day.  
  • Take out money and hide it.
    • Take out a hundred pounds and hide it in your room. Forget about it. When you find it, you’ll have more money than you thought you did.
  • Rice
    • “Cheap and fills you up like f***” – Tom Youngman, second year Geography student.
  • Pray for a family death
    • We got two TVs from my friend’s dead granny.
  • Hope people leave things on the street
    • “One of my mates found a pair of New Balance trainers on the street. He took them and they fit him” – Hannah Elkadi, medical student.
  • Actually save money
    • It might sound obvious, but people tend to forget this one.
  • Stop eating meat
    • It honestly saves so much money.
  • Pack lunch
    • Cheaper than a meal deal.
  • Delete Uber
    • They literally have technology that can track when you are most vulnerable and surge charge you. 
Zoe Thompson

Bristol '18

President of Her Campus Bristol.
Her Campus magazine