Wellness > Health

Why You Should Switch From Drinking Coffee to Drinking Tea

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

I absolutely adored my morning coffee. Without it, my entire day would be such a drag. However, I was blissfully unaware of all of the harmful things coffee was doing to my body.

The unnecessary amounts of sugar was giving me headaches and making me bloat. The heavy pours of milk and cream were causing my skin to break out, and the coffee was staining my teeth!

I was devastated, I needed my morning coffee. Unable to come to terms with the fact that I would not be able to enjoy a yummy caffeinated beverage in the morning, I took to the Starbucks menu. I hesitantly skimmed over the tea menu and selected the Peach Tranquillity. It was heavenly!

It made the transition from coffee to tea a thoughtless decision. 

Reasons You should switch from coffee to tea

If you have not yet had a tea epiphany, or you are not as easily as convinced as I am, here are a few more incredibly important reasons why you need to make this dire switch. Coffee is linked to many harmful health conditions such as multiple different kinds of cancer and cardiovascular disease. It also causes many minor health conditions that may add to various forms of discomfort throughout your day. These minor conditions are a jittery sensation, (which is linked to an increase in anxiety,) heartburn, incessant urination, and heart palpitations. I am someone who would experience all of these minor conditions, and I can verify that they are immensely unpleasant.

Now, if you were to start drinking tea, you may see yourself start to experience many positive health conditions, physically and mentally.

Your guide to tea types

There are many types of tea, and each type comes with its own specific benefits. Types of tea and their positive impacts are:

• White Tea: This tea is known for its airy flavor and its effective ability to fight cancer. It does so with its high level of antioxidants. It also strengthens your teeth as well as fight plaque.
  • Herbal Tea: Herbal teas are quite similar to white teas, but with a variety of  flavours. Unfortunately, herbal teas do not have caffeine. Yet they still have many positive attributes attached to them. Such as improvement of sleep, a cure for constipation and irritable bowel syndrome, improvement of liver health, and migraine relief.  
  • Green Tea: Green Tea is my personal favorite. I enjoy its flavor that can range from earthy to sweet. You may be familiar with matcha latte, which is essentially green tea latte using powder from ground green tea leaves. There are many benefits to this tea as it can prevent many forms of cancer. It is also inflammatory, so it will clear up your skin and leave it glowing! 
  • Black Tea: Black tea has a rich flavor. You are able to benefit from black tea as it combats inflammation and is a great support for a healthy immune system! This tea can help you fight your next case of dorm flu. (You can also use black tea to fight inflammation externally!)
  • Oolong Tea: Oolong tea has a floral taste. This tea contains an amino acid that will reduce anxiety as well as boost attention. This tea is known to aid prevention in Parkinson’s and Alzheimers’s disease. 

All teas can be attributed to feeling a relaxed and zen sensation. This can help soothe anxiety and improve sleep. It is especially great to drink tea after work or classes as a way to wind down. 

Now that you have learned all about the amazing effects of tea, you are probably asking yourself where you can find some around campus. Starbucks is always a great option. I would definitely try the Peach Tranquillity served hot, as it  was absolutely delicious and relaxing. If you’re like me and love walking around downtown Bowling Green, stop into Juniper and try a glass of their scarlet tea. I would also recommend stopping by any coffee shop and asking the barista what tea they recommend. I do this often and I end up with a new favorite tea! 

Finally, if you would rather spend the day in, tea is extremely easy to make. Skip the coffee grounds and simply place a tea bag into your hot water. Much easier and much better for your body!

Here is a list of links that I have referred to when creating this article, and I encourage you to visit these sites as well to deepen your knowledge of tea!

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/the-latest-scoop-on-the-health-benefits-of-coffee-2017092512429

https://senchateabar.com/blogs/blog/benefits-of-drinking-tea

https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/blogs/health-and-wellness/2019/december/health-benefits-of-tea

Macey Pappas

Bowling Green '25

I am Macey Pappas! I am a Digital Art major with a minor in marketing. I am a member of Delta Gamma, and I am thrilled to be writing for Her Campus!