How to Create the Best Playlist Based on Your Zodiac Signs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

If you’re anything like me, music gets you through life. I think of my life in stages, and those stages may or may not correlate to Taylor Swift’s album eras. There is something about music that is so personal, healing, and emotional. As I have gotten into astrology, I have always wanted to correlate what I listen to with my birth chart; if everything explains each other, why not have fun making the connections?

So, I started looking into the artists I already know and love. Looking at their birth charts, I started searching for similarities and synastry to my own birth chart. Do you know the sense of empowerment I got when I found out I share placements (and a birthday!) with Megan Thee Stallion? It seriously changed how I listened to “Thot Sh*t.” In utilizing and chasing this thrill, I searched for more artists with my moon sign.

Why the Moon Sign?

In our birth charts, the moon sign represents our inner consciousness, emotions, feelings, and how we think deep inside. In connection with music, listening to artists and lyricists with similar or the same moon sign may have a deeper connection waiting inside of it; they feel similarly and think similarly to the way you do. To easily search which celebrities have a certain moon sign, I use Astro Charts.

If you don’t share moon signs with your favorite artist, don’t worry; there are so many other factors in our charts that influence how and why we connect to certain things.

Sun, Mercury, And Venus: Life, Living, and Lavish

While our Sun signs have been placed on the back burner with the uprising of astrology knowledge online, it still is a huge part of ourselves and our personality. Sharing Sun signs with musical artists may align with additional signs, like Mercury and Venus that can only be so far apart from certain zodiac signs. By searching for artists with close or the same Sun signs, you can find additional placements that allow for more connections to music.

If an artist has the same Mercury sign as you, you communicate and think deeply in similar ways or about similar things. These signs can influence music taste as well: if you are an Aquarius Mercury and avoid communicating about relationships or commitment traditionally, the music you listen to might have the same point of view, perspectives, or themes. Artists with certain Mercury placements might display these traits in their music and overall aesthetic: the bridge of “Keep Driving” by Harry Styles is completely explained by his Mercury in Aquarius.

However… in addition to other signs, especially the Venus sign, music gains an aesthetic, sensual appeal. Venus is the planet of sensuality and preferences; it can show what we like, love, and hate. Your Venus sign influences your taste in everything; relationships, music, fashion, careers, and more. When you like the aesthetic appeal of something, see what aspects of your Venus sign align with it. Your Venus sign can influence what is important to you, so you should also see what house your placement is in to see which areas of your life you can really connect music with. If you want an example of this in action, my Venus is in the 6th house, meaning that I find passion in service, health, daily routines, and odd jobs. This is reflected in my music taste… hello, “Mirrorball” and “This is Me Trying”…

Making the playlist

Find the songs that speak to you. If it is speaking to you to get up and shake it, then that is what it is telling you to do! Music is something that everyone should be able to connect to and explore, and connecting your interests with your birth chart adds a much deeper level to the connection to music. I hope you all enjoy your new playlists!

Erin Anderson

Bowling Green '25

Erin is a Junior at Bowling Green State University, where she is majoring in Adolescent/Young Adult Education (Integrated Language Arts). Alongside being Senior Editor for the group, she loves to write about astrology, self-love, spirituality, and mental health.