Activities That Make Me Feel Like Myself Again

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bowling Green chapter.

We all get into ruts where we feel down in the dumps for a few days or even weeks, especially grinding through the last weeks of the spring semester. Here are some of the things that I like to do to get out of those holes and start feeling like myself again.

“Self-Care Shower”

I started doing these when I was in high school. In my self-titled “Self-Care Shower”, I usually use a lot of the products on my shelves. I’m a huge fan of sugar scrubs so using one of those and shaving with a new razor always makes me feel good. I’ll also sometimes try a hair mask or a new shampoo and conditioner set if I have it. 

Layering Scents

Something I love trying to figure out is how to layer my scent products to match and create the best scent palette possible. For example, I’ll try a peach body wash with a strawberry sugar scrub first, then after I get out of the shower I’ll put on a peaches and cream lotion and some sort of fruity body spray. Some may think it’s overwhelming, but I personally love being told that I smell good. 

Reading an “Easy” Book

Now, everyone’s version of a relaxing book is different, but mine is one that I would consider beach reading. Reading a silly, romantic book that’s only a few hundred pages long makes me feel accomplished without working my brain too hard. 

Making Desserts

I LOVE to bake. Before I went to school I was able to bake whenever I wanted and loved decorating cakes, baking bread and brownies, and looking up new recipes to try and serve to my family. Now that I’m up at school I don’t get to bake super often, but whenever I get the chance to, I feel more at peace with myself and calmer in general.

Crocheting

I recently got into crocheting as a full-time hobby, and it is addicting! I picked it up a few years ago and stopped, but I just finished a baby blanket for my cousin and I’m almost done making a blanket for myself. I’m also looking to get into the practice of making crochet animals to possibly sell at farmers’ markets over the summer. This activity is time-consuming, but very relaxing. You can put on a show in the background and not worry about doing much else. 

Talking to Loved Ones

Finally, I think being able to express my true feelings and personality to my friends, family, and boyfriend is the main reason I am able to ground myself as often as I do. I dealt with a lot of fake friends in high school, but now that I know my friends now like me for me, I don’t have to pretend anymore. Being able to call my parents and tell them what’s up and them being proud of me is one of my favorite things to do. My boyfriend is one of my biggest supporters, and I appreciate him dealing with me every single day without any wavering amount of the immense love he gives me.

Doing things that ground yourself is important to not only keep your head on straight but keep it on and walk with your head held high through life. Not every day will be perfect, but these are the little things I do to make myself feel just a little bit better. 

Emma Schrimper

Bowling Green '25

Emma Schrimper is a sophomore at Bowling Green State University studying Individualized Business. She loves writing informative articles, and lists of her favorite things. In her spare time, she spends time singing and running her crochet business!