5 Reasons to Love Your Body Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Binghamton chapter.

Body image is something everyone struggles with, no matter what you might think. There are days when no matter how hard you try, you just can’t look in the mirror and think of something positive to say.

This is especially hard in high school and college, when it seems like everyone is on social media living that “perfect life.”

Social media brings out peoples’ “highlight reels,” meaning people only post the best things. It can be easy to fall into the trap of forgetting that everyone has their struggles, and that we aren’t alone. You could scroll for hours, looking at staged pictures that make it seem like everyone is so confident.

I’ll tell you, those pictures don’t reflect real life. You are not other people, and you don’t have to live your life the same way they do. 

You have to find what makes you feel good about the body you have and the life you live. 

Because you should think of your body as your friend, not your enemy.

Self image can be tough, but you’re tougher.

Your body is amazing, just like you.

No one deserves to feel down about themselves, so if you ever do, here are 5 thoughts to change your mind.

1. I am unique. There is no one else just like me.

All people are made of similar building blocks, but no one has the same exact set as you. Your talents, skills, passions, humor, and quirks make you, you. Love the things you love, eat the things that make you feel good, spend time with the people you love, and do the activities that make you smile. These things make up who you are. After all, you are what you love. And that makes you one of a kind.

2. My body is strong. It succeeds every day.

You may no think about this very often, but take a minute to consider everything your body does for you every day. All the walking, moving, working, smiling – everything you ask it to do, it does. It even does things you don’t ask it to do, like breathe, digest, have your heart beat. Your body works 24 hours a day to keep you in your best condition. That’s pretty impressive. Today, celebrate all that your body is capable of. 

3. My “imperfections” make me special.

Imagine walking into a museum and looking at the same painting over and over again. Um, boring. The things that you might consider flaws are things that make your painting just your own. They are special marks on your canvas that make up the art that is you.

4. I have accomplished so much, and I am still standing.

There are days when you feel like you just can’t take any more. That’s okay. It’s important to take breaks and let yourself relax for a bit. In those times, remember other days where you were exhausted, stressed and just down. You thought you wouldn’t make it through, but you did, and you’re still here doing your best. 

You are strong. You have made it through so much, and you came out on top. That is something to celebrate.

5. I am loved.

This is the most important thing to remember. No matter what you might feel, this is true, now and always. There will always be people who want to love and support you. There are people who see you and their hearts fill with joy.

A butterfly can’t see its own wings, but that doesn’t stop others from looking on in wonder and appreciating its beauty.

Repeat these to yourself as often as you need.

Now, go out and celebrate the wonderful body and life you have! You deserve it.

Julia Amodeo

Binghamton

Julia is a freshman at Binghamton University planning to major in Environmental Policy and Spanish. She loves coffee, helping people, and ethical living. She also runs a college lifestyle and wellness blog at juliadoes.com.
Binghamton Contributor