A New Year: Time for Your Yearly Check-Up!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Berry chapter.

The year of 2016 is here! It’s been for a month. With all of the other new year’s resolutions on the list, why not add a yearly exam/check-up? Not just any check-up, one with your gynecologist. There are many things that college-age women have to be grown-ups about. This is definitely one that should be taken into consideration.

According to the National Institute of Health, young women should begin a yearly Pap smear screening at age 21- the average age of a college junior. Also beginning at the age of 20, women should be screened for cervical cancer. While both sound like not a lot of fun, it could potentially catch health concerns early. The gynecologist can also check for harmful STDs. According to the American Sexual Health Association, over half of the population will have an STD in their lifetime.

Where can you go for a routine check-up? Right here at Berry! Appointments can be made at the Berry College Ladd Center for routine gynecologist appointments. Those who make the appointments will be charged a one-time yearly fee of $150 for that service to their student account. The other medical services provided by the Ladd Center do not have a charge. The Ladd Center is open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Alternative options for a GYN appointment exist close to the Berry campus. The Women’s Health Center of Rome is located only 0.9 miles from the campus. At the Women’s Health Center, appointments can be made for yearly check-ups.  They offer annual exams, Pap smears, contraceptive management, STD testing and treatment among other services. According to the Women’s Health Center website, Dr. Leigh Barrell is a native of Georgia and completed her undergraduate degree at Berry.

Insurance plans to cover cost for doctor visits can be provided with the Affordable Care Act. Independent health insurance plans can be created for college students if insurance is not provided by parents. In order to find out more information regarding insurance enrollment, visit healthcare.gov.

Women’s health is an important issue that should be addressed and talked about in every day life. Stop by the Ladd Center in-between classes for more information on making an appointment. To make an appointment with the Women’s Health Center, contact their office at 706.234.7915. 

Image source 

Maggie Stansell is a campus correspondent for the Berry College branch of HerCampus. She is a junior at Berry College majoring in Communications with a focus in public relations. Maggie enjoys spending time with her dog, Finn, who is more like her child. She also enjoys watching so much “X-Files” that she now believes there is a good possibility of life elsewhere. Maggie would love nothing more in her life than to work as a concierge in a hotel, as long as it has the color scheme of a Wes Anderson film.