This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

From the first grade up until seventh grade, I had a strong passion for theater. I would spend every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at Robbie’s Music Store, a local business across the street from my house. There, I would take vocal, acoustic guitar, and occasionally piano lessons. I loved my guitar so much; I named her Luna (I was real creative since it was a Luna Guitar). On the days I did not have practice, I locked myself in my room, wrote songs of my own, and created an instrumental beat. I spent hours writing scripts, directing movies, and holding auditions, where I picked which of my friends had which role in my films. Then, I proudly showcased them to my parents, who were impressed that a 12-year-old figured out how to transport the film on a camera, edit the content online, and burn the files on blank CD’s. I would spend my summers performing as part of a drama club at Centenary University, and in school, I would be the first to sign up for the fall and spring plays run by our middle school drama department. 

Like any child, I had big dreams. I envisioned myself on broadway one day, waking up in my large penthouse in the big apple, and walking to Ralph’s coffee shop every morning before work. I saw myself making it center stage, lights beaming on my face, and hundreds of people applauding at the talent that I had spent years working hard to perfect. 

It’s mind blowing how one conversation can change all of the dreams you once had. 

In the seventh grade, I heard a quiet knock on my bedroom door while learning how to finger pluck on Luna to the song “Let Her Go” by Passenger. “Can we talk?” my father mumbles on the other side of the door. 

“Come in!” I holler. He slowly walks in with his navy blue suit and tie and sits down on the corner of my bed. “How was work?” I politely ask. He exhales, “I had a stressful meeting today with my team, and just minor things in the stock market…” I look down and change the capo to the third fret. “Not the point,” he continues. 

“Say, you’re going into the eighth grade pretty soon, so do you want to continue with Robbie’s lessons?” I set my guitar on my lap. 

“I just mean, because the eighth grade is a big year, you mentioned you wanted to join the SeaDragons swim club, which is a pretty expensive investment…and if I am honest, doing both will be even more costly.” All of what he is saying is making logical sense. “I guess you’re right. I should probably choose one. Doing both is a lot, especially because I won’t have time to study and focus on my classes.” 

From that moment on, I did not touch a guitar nor perform in a play. That is, until the pandemic, when I rekindled my relationship with Luna. I do not regret the path that I chose, because if I did not choose to continue with my athletics and focus on discovering my passions in the classroom, I would not have ended up swimming at a business school. I would not have met a fantastic team that I am proud to consider family. However, I do regret that I chose to drop those passions of mine for good. I know now that any person that says “I do not have enough time, so I can’t”, is horrible at time management. Due to that experience, I find an hour each day either learning new notes or strumming patterns, whether in the morning before class or the last hour before bed. 

My favorite author, Rachel Hollis, wrote a fantastic chapter in her sequel “Girl, Stop Apologizing” about time management. Rachel Hollis inspired me to share some tips that helped me reflect positively on my experience. 

Change your Habits

It is excellent to identify where you went wrong in your past because that gets you a step closer to fixing your future. However, spending time wishing you had done something better does not benefit you because you waste time living in the past. Instead, address the problem, then create ways to prevent your mistake from happening again, and then practice that plan until it becomes a habit. In my experience, I now focus on acquiring more skills on my guitar, instead of focusing on how good I could be if I had kept up with lessons. 

Thirty Minute Rule

Reserve at least thirty minutes to an hour each day for yourself. Whether it be reading, cooking, or working out, do an activity that makes you happy because hobbies carry you through your career. Having passions outside of your job gives you the ability to burn off steam and relax. It gives you the ability to separate yourself from your work and your personal life. For me, Luna gives me the ability to fine-tune with myself after a stressful day at school. 

If you struggle to find some hobbies, check out the activities fair at Bentley and sign up for clubs that interest you the most. For me, joining the HerCampus club was one of the best decisions I made, as writing is also one of my favorite hobbies. As Bentley students, we all work ourselves to death at times, and so it is essential to find hobbies that keep us alive. With that being said, I hope these tips help you stay inspired and motivated in school so that you can turn your own dreams into a reality.

Hello! My name is Marissa, and I am a senior at Bentley, pursuing a degree in Marketing and a minor in Information Design and Corporate Communication. I am also on the swim team, swimming sprint free. I love writing personal experience articles and reviews on stores and products.
Melissa is President and Campus Correspondent of Her Campus at Bentley University.  She is a senior majoring in Marketing and minoring in Spanish and Psychology.  Melissa studied abroad in Sevilla, Spain!  In her free time, she loves to read, write, play tennis, volunteer, and spend time with family and friends.  You'll usually find her exploring new places and restaurants and then writing articles about them!