Who is “That Girl” and Why Do We Love Her?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

Let’s face it, everyone wants to be That Girl. Even I want to be That Girl, but what is this obsession about?

If you are confused about what I am addressing, I am not talking about the sitcom that aired in the 60’s. Respectfully, “That Girl” is defined by Urban Dictionary as

a girl (or any gender) that gets up at 5am, meditates, drinks smoothies, has showers every day, journaling, eating only healthy food, goes to gym every day,and is successful in many ways. This stereotype is typically on tiktok and films morning or night routines. Most likely rich too…

That Girl is the embodiment of an aesthetic that people my age (usually 20+) have come to idolize. They wear only neutrals, gold jewelry, keep their hair sleek, and reportedly smell like Maison Margiela’s Bubble Bath.

But it’s more than an aesthetic, people! That Girl cares for her body, her environment, and her mind. The best way I can put it is that she is simply building the foundation to the healthiest and most fulfilling future she can have. I believe that the influences of idolizing the That Girl aesthetics comes with the benefits of building healthy habits, such as eating clean and intuitively, practicing healthy hygiene routines, and making sure your mind is at peace.

Emily Mariko (a famous That Girl) has been front face of Tik Tok ever since she shared her leftover salmon rice bowl recipe. Now at 6.7 million followers on Tik Tok, she has become the epitome of what my peers aspire to be: clean, calm, and organized. I believe one of the strongest takeaways her audience has from her videos is that life isn’t just about the big moments, but also the little ones that people usually don’t get to see. Ever since this phenomenon came around, fans have been starting to romanticize things they wouldn’t usually do, like washing fruit, storing vegetables, or simply doing your laundry.

Most of the fascination that comes from Mariko is that she is always eating something delicious and nutrient dense. It’s a refreshing take on diet culture, where most influencers give a limited insight on what they eat in a day. She’s not afraid to showcase her cultural cuisine and displays her groceries hauls of the week as something to look forward to. Seeing her display food as such an essential part of wellness is exciting, so there’s no wonder why so many people have copied and shared the salmon bowl recipe.

We root for That Girl because she pushes us to be our best selves. If you choose to partake in this lifestyle trend, just remember a few basic steps:

1. Make your bed

The charm that comes from looking so put together is that you actually have to be put together sometimes. When you wake up in the morning, try making your bed to ensure every day starts off with a clean slate!

2. Eat well

It’s tempting to forget a few breakfasts here and there and only eat Kraft Mac and Cheese, but if you have the time and resources, I would recommend trying new things. Mariko’s Tik Tok page has a ton of wholesome recipes that are easy to make!

3. Breathe.

Go on a walk around campus. Run on the treadmill. Take a spin class. Whatever it may be, take some time for yourself to breathe and let your feelings out. Exercise is linked with increased endorphins that may make you feel better.

Good Luck!

Hey everyone! My name is Alexandra –Alex for short— and I am currently a junior at Bentley University, studying Marketing with a minor in Management. I love coffee, libraries, and going out with friends. I hope to share my love for pop culture and create a platform worth your while! ♡