Style > Beauty

What I’ve Learned About Skincare From Watching Hyram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

While I was home for winter break I started watching some Youtube videos from a fairly popular creator, Hyram. He is a skincare specialist who mostly makes videos about skincare products and how to take care of your skin properly. What started as a slight interest in skincare turned into an obsession. I am blown away by how much I have learned from him already and how ignorant I was to everything skincare related before. Here are some tips and tricks that I’ve learned from Hyram so far.

I always thought that hot water opened your pores but that’s actually a myth. Hot water instead loosens up the dirt in your skin and preps the skin to take in products better. Even though they can appear bigger or smaller at times pores cannot actually change in size.

A lot of exfoliators and masks that provide an instant change in appearance aren’t actually the best products for the skin and some can be way too harsh. Peel off face masks that tug at the skin harshly often strip the skin of hydration. And scrub exfoliators, although they give you results immediately, do not provide the same long term benefits to the skin as chemical exfoliants.

Makeup wipes need to be phased out! Not only are they bad for your skin, they are also bad for the planet. Makeup wipes can irritate the skin much more than cleansing oil or micellar water(other products that can be used to remove makeup). And makeup wipes are one-use products that end up in landfills. If you use one makeup wipe a day that is a lot of wipes going in the trash, when you could use a cleanser everyday instead and reduce your waste.

Hyram also expresses the importance of sunscreen in everyday skincare, not just for when you go to the beach. Sunscreen should be applied every morning after moisturizer to prevent sun damage, especially when using exfoliators or treatments because those can make your skin even more sensitive to the sun.

In his videos, Hyram recommends a large mix of products from different brands that are sold at a range of different stores, anywhere from the drugstore to Sephora. I really like this about him because it shows that the most expensive products are not always going to give the best results, the ingredients in the products are what counts. 

Hyram’s channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2sYit3cZ2CuD_8FHYH7O_Q

I'm a sophomore at Bentley University and I'm an accounting major. I'm from Reading, Massachusetts and in my free time I like to bake, read, and take my dog on walks.