Wellness > Health

5 Tips for Studying When You Are Sick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bentley chapter.

We’ve all been there—just when you finally get on top of all your homework, you feel the sniffles coming on and swallowing starts to feel like going over a speed bump. As a senior in college who is starting the first week of classes under the weather, I know how you feel. It feels like you’re scrambling to just stay afloat, let alone do well on your assignments and exams. But, as I’m sure is the case for you, this is not my first time trying to crack down on studying while sick. To help you out, here are some tips I’ve learned from past sick seasons that help make studying a little easier. 

A couple things to note before I share my advice: Everything I share is either my opinion based on my own experiences or medically reviewed advice. When I write about illnesses, I’m talking about manageable conditions such as the common cold, stomachaches, and allergies. If you are extremely ill or otherwise physically or mentally unwell and it is unwise for you to do anything else but rest, these tips may not be helpful to you, and you should seek professional medical care.

1. Communicate with your professors

Before you do anything, let your professors know how you are feeling, especially if you anticipate needing to make up work or ask for extra time on an assignment. Even if you manage to get everything done, it doesn’t hurt to keep your professors in the loop. If you work a part-time job or internship during the semester, tell your boss and coworkers about your condition. It’s also a good idea to notify anyone else who you see often, like roommates, close friends, group project members, and other students in your club or sports team. 

Another tip: I always make a visit to my university’s health center when I feel cold symptoms arising, just so I have the support and appropriate medications I need. You could also ask for any documentation from medical staff in case your professors request it.

1. Take breaks frequently

Since entering college, I’ve been a big advocate of taking breaks, whether you’re perfectly healthy or down with a fever. Taking short breaks while studying helps you re-focus, improves your memory, and makes you more productive in the end. It sounds counterintuitive—stepping away from your work can make you more productive—but it’s true. Of course, we’re talking short breaks, somewhere in the 5 to 10 minute range (unless you’ve been studying for a while). I like to use the Pomodoro method, which consists of 4 sets of 25-minute study sessions with a 5-minute break following each session. After 4 sets, you can take a longer break of 15 to 30 minutes. These are just recommendations, so treat them as such. Personally, I like to study in 45-minute sessions with 5 to 10 minute breaks when I’m healthy, and switch to 30-minute sessions with 10-minute breaks when I’m sick. Experiment and find what works best for you.

Don’t get caught up in the numbers—the important thing is that you’re taking regular breaks and refueling. To get the most out of each break, physically step away from your work and do something relaxing or refreshing, like taking a short walk outside, listening to music, or taking a power nap. Just try not to scroll on social media during this time—it’ll do more harm than good.

1. Create a comfortable study environment

I pretty much always study in the quiet area of the library. For me, having a set place to study helps me develop and maintain a studying routine and better separate my school life from my personal life. It’s not the most comfortable place, but it’s ideal for studying because it’s quiet and free from distractions.

Usually this choice of location is non-negotiable for me, but the only exception is when I am feeling sick. When you’re ill, do everything you can to make your space comfortable and accessible to any medicine or other resources. This will help motivate you to get going if you’re feeling less energized than usual. (Just don’t make it so cozy that you’re tempted to nap instead of study.) I like to study in my room when sick, and set up a little refueling station for myself at my desk, including things like water, fruit, medicine, pain killers, and tissues. That way, I don’t have to get up every time I need one of these items. Grab a blanket, listen to soothing music, keep an air purifier on—whatever you need to make studying a little easier. Make your space suitable for you.

1. Drink water constantly

This rule is pretty non-negotiable in my book. Like taking breaks, drinking water is important regardless of how well (or unwell) you’re feeling. I’m sure you’ve heard all the pros of drinking water, like boosted energy levels and improved brain function, according to a Healthline article medically reviewed by a dietitian.

Pro tip: It may be helpful to buy an insulated water bottle to keep your drinks cool for the day (and your warm drinks hot). I always fill my water bottle up before leaving for the day so I’m not wasting time and money using the water fountain or buying water on campus. A good rule of thumb is to drink eight glasses of water a day, but this rule isn’t one-size-fits-all and can certainly be altered. If you live in a dorm or on-campus apartment, make sure to use a water filter, such as a Brita pitcher, to make sure the water you consume is nice and clean. You can couple your glass of water with a healthy snack like oranges or bananas for an extra energy boost.

1. Prioritize your to-dos

As I recover from my cold, I have to keep reminding myself not to do more than I need to do. Aside from taking five classes this semester, I am on the leadership team for two clubs on campus while working a part-time job, socializing with friends, attending weekly church events, and occasionally babysitting. When I find myself not feeling 100% (but I’m still healthy enough to do some activities), I need to choose what is most important to me, which is my academics and spiritual life. So here’s your reminder: There’s no need to tack on extra work for yourself right now, even if that “work” is just hanging out with friends. Focus on bettering your health first, then you can think about the extra tasks and activities.

Above all, listen to your body. This is something that my mom has always told me growing up. I’m the kind of person that, if I really care about a project or to-do, I’ll sometimes try to push myself to get it done at the expense of my wellness. This is something that I’m constantly working at changing. You can’t cut corners when it comes to your health. No matter how hard I push myself, if my head is pounding, my throat is sore, and my body aches, I’m not going to perform my best. So make sure you’re being wise about what you can and can’t do right now. Be kind to yourself and to your body, and remember: This too shall pass.

My name is Mia Ichimura and I'm from Greater Boston. I'm a fourth-year student at Bentley University majoring in Corporate Communications with a minor in Marketing. Following my graduation, I plan to pursue a career in public relations. In my free time, I enjoy reading, photography, listening to music, and spending time with friends and family. I joined Her Campus because I love writing and wanted an outlet to share my ideas and experiences. My favorite topics to write about are productivity and wellness!