This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

Poetry was always something I did randomly and without much thought. It was really just for my own enjoyment and I never planned on sharing them with anyone, but eventually my mindset changed a bit. As I worked on them more and it turned into more of a fulltime hobby, I decided to start sharing them.

I was happy with the way I wrote poems and thought I would just continue doing it for fun. Although, as I was choosing classes for Spring semester I noticed there was a poetry class available. This sparked my interest and I signed up… it didn’t hurt that it also covered my humanities credit. 

As soon as I started the class I realized there were so many things I had never tried or read in poetry that really made me think. It’s in this class that I also found one of my favorite books ever, “Sex & Love &” by Bob Hicock. You just never know what you may discover once you start to investigate something you have an interest in! One of the other things I immediately found about poetry is that there really aren’t any rules. I mean technically there are, but if you don’t care what a critic says the forms are endless. 

At the end of the day, I say all of this about poetry to encourage you to take those classes that spark your interest, whatever they may be. So what if they’re not in your major, or even your minor? I mean I don’t know about you, but I’ve started to realize not too many people end up working in their area of study. I say if you have the hours available and the interest, just go for it. 

Make sure to like HC Belmont on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, pin with us on Pinterest, and love us on Instagram

Megan is a second year student at Belmont University, located just outside of downtown Nashville. On any given day you can find her creating a Spotify playlist, jotting down some poetry or searching for a new vintage clothing store. If you go an entire conversation with her and don't hear something about her undying love for Elton John, you didn't talk to her long enough.