5 Tips to Keep Your Stress Under Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Belmont chapter.

If I were to sum up college in one word, it would be “STRESSFUL.”

Okay… there might be a few other (much more positive) adjectives that come to mind as well, such as “defining” or “enriching.” But nonetheless, college is one of, if not the most stressful time in our lives. Balancing class, internships, clubs, and some semblance of a social life is…just the worst. The worst. But also the best! Don’t get me wrong, there are so many amazing memories and relationships that will come out of these four years. And a job (hopefully)! But if you want to be able to experience all the good you have to stop doing this:And start doing this:

Here are 5 tips on how to keep your stress under control this semester.

1.Don’t Overdo It

Like being busy? Want to get more involved this year? That’s great! Just try not to kill yourself I the process.  We all want to build a resume and have kick*** GPA printed right at the top, and you can have that, but slow and steady wins the race. Really evaluate your schedule before you take on anymore clubs or organizations, how realistic are you being? Even if you think you can manage it, maybe just start with one or two. If you can handle it, that’s great! Maybe now you can consider more. If not, maybe you should hold off for a bit. When it comes to enlarging your load, it’s best to take it one thing at a time.

2. Eat <3

Yes, it’s good that we all be aware of what we eat. Your body is a temple, but if that temple is in distress, do something about it! You’d be surprised (no, really) how comforted you’ll feel eating a cheeseburger over a salad (for once.) I mean, there’s a reason it’s called comfort food people! I’m not saying you should much like this on the reg, because we all know you really shouldn’t. However, treating yourself every once in a while, especially when you’re on edge, won’t hurt you.  It’s okay to grab a cookie on your way out of the caf tonight :)

3. Exercise

Okay, I don’t want to do it either. At least that’s what we’re all thinking at first! To some (many) of us, exercising does not sound fun. But, aside from contributing to our physical health, it can be a big help when we’re the stress is coming down hard. Is it necessary for me to quote Elle Woods here? Getting some more activity into your day can really have an effect on your mood. And who knows, maybe if you try out that barre class, you’ll find a love you never even knew you had?

4. Get Your Sleep In

Legit, I don’t understand how some people are able to function without 8 hours. Props to all of ya’ll who can get through the day with half or less. I don’t know how you do it. But despite how amazing you are for doing this, I’m going to have to ask you to stop. You need to turn off the lights, put down your phone, and get cozy under your comforter stat! Think you’re getting behind? You’re not!  Research has shown that people who get the recommended amount of sleep retain information much better than those who don’t. You’ll have a much easier time cramming for bio if you get yourself a goodnight’s sleep beforehand. I know it’s hard to hear, but coffee is not the answer to everything my friends.

5. Don’t Procrastinate 

Your parents tell you. Your professor tells you. Your Aunt Sally tells you. And guess what, now I’m telling you. Don’t procrastinate! Don’t! Stop it! Now! This is probably the absolute worst thing you could do to yourself! Please don’t do it, I’m begging! Name one time you’ve procrastinated and didn’t get stressed. What was that? That’s never happened to you? Really? Well, that’s what I thought. It’s hard, I know it is, but you just can’t do it. Being stressed and pressed for time are not the ingredients for a quality paper. You will be so much happier knowing you pushed yourself to get it done, and that you did the best you could do. And if that doesn’t satisfy you, maybe you’re “A” will.

We got this collegiettes! Time to go show the world who’s boss! 

Born and raised in Louisville, KY, Sarah came to Belmont as a member of the class of 2019. Sarah joined the Her Campus Belmont team as a chapter contributor her sophomore year and took over as President just a few months later. While you'll find her studying corporate communications and theatre during school, in her free time she enjoys hot yoga, bingeing Game of Thrones, and working to make her chapter the absolute best it can be.