This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BC chapter.

How to Avoid the Freshman 15!

Freshman year is stressful! The last thing you want to have to worry about is the Freshman 15. Here are some Do’s and Don’ts I came up with over my last two years:

Do:

• Do look online at the group fitness classes, once you find a class you like make sure to call ahead and sign up for it! You can find out all the details about the classes and when they are offered here!  [picture]
  • Do save your Eagle Bucks for coffee at the Chocolate Bar or Hillside, because it’s superior to any other coffee on campus! Also, you can make sure that the coffee is just the way you like; hold the whipped cream and ask for skim milk! This is a way to avoid wasting it on junk food and soda in the vending machines.
  • Do beware of Late Night food! It may seem like a miracle in the beginning but when your pants start feeling tight you will regret those chicken fingers. If you’re hungry, go for the cereal or yogurt!  
  • Do keep healthy snacks in your room like dried fruit or nuts so you don’t have to eat from the vending machines. By bringing your own snacks to class, you can control portion sizes and choose food that will keep you energized and full.  
  • Do look at the nutrition facts online, it’s good to know what you’re eating! A lot of foods may seem healthy when they really aren’t. I found out one semester too late that the Chicken Caesar salad at Eagle’s Nest has like over 900 calories, whoops. All of the school’s nutritional information is online. (http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/dining/hours_and_menus.html ) To access the nutrition facts, click on the menu of the specific dining hall you’re looking into, and then click on the apple next to breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and then the specific food you’re curious about.
  • Do look at the menus online before going to dinner, that way you can already plan on having a healthy dinner and not get sidetracked by the Mexican food. You can find the menus where you find the nutrition facts. They change everyday!
  • Do try the vegetarian options! They can be really yummy and good for you.
  • Do see the on-campus dietitian, Sheila Tucker if you are concerned about weight gain! She’s super friendly and helpful. All you have to do is call ahead and make an appointment.  Look here for more information!
  • Do check out the kick-off of “Nourish” at Healthapalooza on September 25th! “Nourish” is a campaign by the Office of Health Promotion and Dining Services which shows students how to make healthy eating choices while living on campus.

Don’t:

• Don’t restrict yourself. It’s okay to go out to dinner every once in a while and reward yourself for your healthy week! I know my guilty pleasure is the chicken fried rice at Fin’s.
  • Don’t skip breakfast! I know you may think you’re saving time by either skipping your breakfast of grabbing a muffin to go (especially you Newton kids) but it’s important to start off the day right! Take 20-30 minutes in your morning routine to have an omelet or some oatmeal!
  • Don’t be so hard on yourself! I found that when I stressed about my figure, I ended up eating even more. Trust your body and your choices!
  • Don’t keep junk food in your room. Every single time I would buy a pack of Oreo’s at CVS they would be gone in a day. When you’re bored and watching Netflix or studying the first thing you will want to do is eat the entire pack.
  • Don’t stick to just one dining hall. All of them have healthy options and different menus. It’s good to change things up a bit. For example, Hillside has amazing dinners, which I only found out about sophomore year.

Article and Image Sources:

http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/rec/about-us/facilities/fitness/spin.html

http://livelight.org/healthy-tip-of-the-month-breakfast-is-your-best-friend/

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSlfaGJS7YEjk5vSujmEX6Q9H9pL77LdhCUm0dywvH8m_BWzWZF

Meghan Gibbons is a double major in Communications and Political Science in her senior year at Boston College. Although originally from New Jersey, she is a huge fan of all Boston sports! Along with her at Boston College is her identical twin, who she always enjoys playing twin pranks with. Meghan is a huge foodie, book worm and beach bum