Tips for Finding the Perfect Balance Between School, Work and Fun

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

This semester has been really busy for me.  I am taking more hours than last semester and balancing two jobs. Now don’t get me wrong, I love it! Getting to dabble in my future career by writing for the school newspaper, while also working at the front desk of my dorm is really enjoyable. However, sometimes it can feel overwhelming. 

Recently I was asked, what is the biggest piece of advice I would give to incoming college freshmen. I answered quickly, “I would urge them to remember the importance of finding a balance between hanging out with friends, doing schoolwork, and having time to talk to family or loved ones.” This is something I am still working on to this day. That is partially why I am writing this article. It is not just a list of helpful tips, but rather it is also a PSA for me. After realizing how important it is that I learn to balance my responsibilities, I  incorporated these helpful strategies into my everyday life.

1. Do not try to be everything for everyone.

I feel like I need to underline, bold, and put it in all caps for myself. I believe I have always been a person that people call when they need to be cheered up, need someone to hang out with, or if they find themselves in a difficult situation, and it can get exhausting quickly. This is a heavy load I find myself carrying sometimes. I don’t want it to seem as if I don’t care about my friends, because I truly do, however it is important to be able to set boundaries, for the best of your own wellbeing.

2. Schedule some personal time.

Personal time is of the utmost importance. As someone who has a very go, go, go spirit, I constantly seek out adventure and a good time. So much so that I honestly forget that I need to be alone sometimes. Spending time alone is in no way a bad thing. It can be difficult to differentiate between spending time alone and being lonely. These things are in no way the same, which can come as a surprise to some people. Spending time alone can be vital to recharging your mind. Which goes into my next point.

3. Manage your mind.

This is another big one. Recently, I have been struggling more than usual with anxiety and the constant feeling of being overwhelmed. Something that I have found that helps with this, is surrounding yourself with people that make you feel at home. Feeling comfortable talking to people about what you are feeling can be incredibly difficult at times, and it places you in a vulnerable state. However, I believe that it is necessary. Other ways to manage your mind can be through reading, meditating, praying, and exercising.

4. Be realistic with your daily tasks.

I have a bad habit of wanting to do as much as I possibly can in one single day. This is not practical at all. Learning how important it is to separate your tasks into a little bit each day, will positively help you in the long run. I enjoy crossing off things on my list, even if they are as simple as “wash your laundry” or “take out the trash,”. These tasks that may seem small, help to feel productive throughout the day and give the motivation to tackle bigger, more difficult tasks.

5. Unplug from social media.

It can be hard to pull yourself away from the lure of social media. Do you  find yourself staring at your screen for what started off as a few minutes, but quickly turns into hours? Prior to writing this article, I spent about an hour scrolling through TikTok, unfortunately I am not immune to its draw. Unplugging, even if it is only for a day or two, has such positive benefits and is a way to regain some time back in your day.

Working on time management, spending time alone, and remembering to unplug from social media have taught me how to find balance in my life.  I hope that these strategies are as helpful for you as they are for me. Most importantly do not forget to breathe! You got this!

Erianne Lewis is a freshman journalism major from Pearland, Texas, just south of Houston. When she isn’t getting coffee with her friends or watching Netflix, she enjoys going on spontaneous adventures and meeting new people. Her favorite things are the color yellow, car rides, thrift shopping, beaches, and trying new foods.