Wellness > Health

7 Ways to Stay Active as a College Student in a Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Baylor chapter.

One of the most important things to remember as a college student is physical and mental health. While being in college can be immensely time consuming and you may feel like you don’t have enough time in the day, there is always time to take care of yourself. It is easy to fall into a slump where you migrate from your dorm to class and to the library without much physical activity. So it is important to remember that there are a variety of ways to be active on campus in a COVID safe way.  

1. Walk as much as possible 

One way that you can throw some exercise into your daily routine is walking to each of your classes. If parking is a nightmare – like it usually is at Baylor – see this as a blessing and an opportunity for you to get a little bit of exercise into your day. Make time to take a short walk across campus for some peace and quiet. Having a break in your day where nothing is expected of you is the perfect way to set your mind right. 

2. Join an intramural sports team 

One of my favorite ways to get out and exercise is sports. The camaraderie and motivation that comes with a sport is something that inspires me to work out and makes it extremely more fun and not a chore for me to accomplish. If you were a varsity athlete in high school, join an intramural for your long lost love of a sport. However, don’t be afraid to try something new, don’t worry not everyone is an expert. 

3. Take a fitness class at the SLC 

Another way to stay active on campus is to take advantage of the FitWell classes at Baylor. Some examples of classes you can take include: Yoga, Muscle Up!, Tone and Stretch, Refit Dance, Kickboxing, Zumba, Taekwondo, Bear Cycle, Bollywood Dance, and more. My first semester here I took the Kickboxing class and I truly learned a lot, so I know first hand that completing a FitWell class is a rewarding experience that will help you build strength and confidence. 

4. Pullin Family Marina 

Visit the Pullin Family Marina for an opportunity to participate in a multitude of water activities such as kayaking, canoeing, sailing, or paddleboarding on the Brazos river. Additionally, this Marina holds a sand volleyball court and occasional spikeball tournaments, giving you a way to be active even without being in the water. Visiting this amazing recreational center on Baylor’s campus is a way you can be active in a COVID safe environment, while also enjoying the peaceful outdoors.

5. Cameron Park 

One way to be active is to visit one of Waco’s best parks: Cameron Park. Here you can go hiking, mountain biking, or go on a walk. This is an amazing option to get off of campus and explore more of Waco, while also experiencing the great outdoors. Try going on a run through Cameron park or go on a peaceful bike ride. 

6. Being active with friends

Finally, make sure to set aside time for yourself to have fun and enjoy college. As a college student in a pandemic you work so hard to stay afloat and try to maintain your grades, mental state, and friendships. You can tie interacting safely with your friends with physical exercise so that you can maximize relaxation and fun. Take your roommate to a Fitwell class and try Bollywood dancing or join an intramural basketball team with your two closest friends. 

Now that you know the many different ways that you can safely be physically fit on your own campus, it’s time to apply this information into your own life! Baylor is a beautiful campus full of fantastic possibilities when it comes to exercise and outdoor activities. This way, you can keep yourself in great shape for the rest of the semester and make the most out of your last couple weeks.

Caroline Thiemann is a senior Marketing major with minors in History and Public Relations at Baylor University. She is from Plano, Texas and loves to go thrifting, collect records and go on runs. When she is not reading a new book or trying new restaurants, she loves watching a fun movie with her friends. Some of her favorite things include Taylor Swift, traveling, and dim sum.