stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

10 Things My Mental Health Made Me Think I’d Never Do

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bates chapter.
  1. Live past 17
  2. Graduate high school
  3. Go to college
  4. Have a group of close friends
  5. Find something I’m passionate about
  6. Believe in myself
  7. Trust myself
  8. Trust other people
  9. Be happy
  10. Be loved

Recovery is possible, and I’m proof of that. This isn’t to say that it’s easy or that it comes naturally, but recovery is possible, and you are worth the effort. If you are struggling, please get help. Yes, it will be difficult at times, and yes, sometimes I still have days when I slip back into mental illness and progress seems to come a lot slower. But I also know that those days of regression don’t mean that I’m not making any progress; they’re just speedbumps on my path to recovery, and that’s okay. It’s normal to have setbacks and while they can be scary, it doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try at all. You deserve to live and thrive and love and be loved. Take care of yourself, and trust that things can get better, because they can and they will.

Rachel Minkovitz is a senior at Bates College double majoring in Psychology and French and Francophone Studies. She spends a lot of time listening to music, hanging out with friends, reading and writing, advocating for social justice, and looking for furry animals.