This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

You either love the mornings or you hate them, but either way they can’t be avoided. Before college I would definitely not consider myself a morning person, but creating a routine and sticking to it has gotten me much more excited to get out of bed, and it seriously changed my life! Starting your day early and getting yourself on the right track from the first moments you wake up are so important to guarantee you’ll have a productive day.

Your morning has such an impact on the entirety of your day! Ever heard of waking up on the wrong side of bed? Let’s change that and make sure each day you wake up on the right one, and are ready for a great day. Taking the time each morning to follow a routine, or a set of steps to start the day in the right direction will boost your mood and energy. I promise these small changes will make a huge difference each day. My morning routine is simple, but it’s something that helps me feel prepared for the day, even bright and early in the morning. Here are some things I incorporate into my mornings that can help you as well:

1. WAKE UP WHEN THE ALARM GOES OFF!

Set your alarm before you go to sleep with the intention of getting up when you hear that first dreadful noise. I know it’s hard, but getting up the first time rather than snoozing for another hour allows you more time in the morning and will pay off in the rest of your day!

2. MAKE THE BED.

Such a small and simple task, but the first one to cross off of your list of the day. Making my bed leaves me feeling organized, and clean right off the bat. Coming home from a long day to a freshly made bed is also so comfortable and rewarding! 

3. EXERCISE      

The gym is my happy place! This may not be the case for you, but any sort of movement in the morning wakes me up, gets my blood flowing and releases those happy endorphins to prepare me for the day. Things like going for a walk, yoga, stretching, running, or any sort of fitness routine that works for you will help you feel better in all aspects! 

4. COOK BREAKFAST (AND COFFEE!)

Whip up something quick and delicious to fuel your day ahead! Breakfast is my favorite part of my day and I get excited to wake up in the morning wondering what I will make next. Being the most important meal of the day, breakfast should be a huge part of your morning to make sure you get your system filled with energy! Try healthy breakfast options that aren’t filled with sugars or things that can lead to sluggish feelings or a crash later in the day. (Check my healthy breakfast post for easy options!) I’m a coffee addict and breakfast paired with coffee is the best part of my morning routine! Add a warm cup to wake you up if you need it. If caffeine doesn’t work for you try tea, or warm lemon water to wake up your digestive system and get it ready for a full day of eating! 

5. MORNING LISTEN OR READ Music is my favorite thing to quietly listen to in the morning while making breakfast, walking to class, or just sitting on the couch finishing my cup of coffee. I like to add in a podcast or two each week as well to get me motivated in the morning as well! Reading something inspirational, listening to a positive speaker, or just a song that gets you going will make an impact on the rest of your day! 

Because of my morning routine I feel refreshed, motivated, and ready to take on whatever the day throws at me! Adding a routine to your life early in the morning will set you up for a day full of success! Sticking to any sort of routine is tough in our busy lives, but having a specific schedule for yourself that brings you joy can only add positivity and structure to our chaotic college lives!

Natalia is a junior at Augustana College studying biology. She hopes to become a dentist who makes the world smile brighter. When she isn't studying you can find her at the gym sweatin' or at the mall shopping for clothes she can't afford. Natalia is a pretty typical college chick who's really into motivation, health & fitness, style, food and music. Find her on instagram @talibear31!
Joselyn Pena

Augustana '20

Augustana 2020