Foods That Your Body and Mind Will Thank You For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Augustana chapter.

As spring break comes to a close and we start a new term, it’s important to keep in mind that we can only get as much goodness out of our bodies as we put into them. Most of us will be spending the first five weeks of the term pledging, which means being out almost every night, and for those who aren’t doing that, you still have to manage your way through a whole ten weeks before you get another break. Rough. Either way, filling your body with foods that are high in antioxidants will give you plenty of energy and save you a lot of time when you’re not running to Walgreens for cough medicine during week 3, or sludging through week 4. These foods are an easy and delicious way to stay on top of your game this term to make it your best term yet!

Foods that are high in-

Antioxidants: First of all, it’s important to understand what antioxidants are and what they can do for you. Basically, they are a substance such as vitamin C or E that removes potentially damaging oxidizing agents in your body. So, the following foods will not only give you plenty of vitamin C to boost your immune system, but they also have many other health benefits!

• Berries

Goji, blueberries, and cranberries were at the top of the lists that I found. An 8 oz. cup of cranberry juice will give you 100% Vitamin C!

• Dark Chocolate (YASS)

Obviously eating this in moderation is key, but the benefits are in the cocoa. So, the darker, and richer the chocolate, the better it is for you!

• Pecans

According to the USDA these tree nuts rank within the top 20 in antioxidant rich foods among the 277 that they studied. They also have 19 vitamins and minerals, have heart-healthy unsaturated fat, and no trans fat.

• Artichokes

Artichokes are antioxidant super foods which help protect against cancer, heart disease, and have anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties. They also have two types of antioxidants that help to regenerate your liver tissue (and we all know why that’s a good thing!)

• Red Bell Peppers

Just one red bell pepper offers you two times the amount of vitamin C you need in a day, 25% of vitamin A, 10% of vitamin E, and 100% of vitamin b6 which may help to reduce the risk of breast cancer.

• Bananas

Bananas are packed with vitamin C, important minerals, and can give you a boost of energy quickly without the crash and burn that you get from junk food.

Just swapping one or more of these foods a day will have you feeling better and your body will definitely show its gratitude!

Jessica Estes is a senior at Augustana College pursuing an English and creative writing double major. She's a lover of baking, writing nonfiction, Christmas, reading, and fashion. She's also a huge fan of Game of Thrones, Gilmore Girls, Pretty Little Liars, and This Is Us. One day, she hopes to write full time for a magazine, publish a successful cookbook, and a memoir. You can follow her on Instagram at jessicajane28.
Augustana Contributor