stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Being Your Best Self, Just in Time for Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

With Spring Break right around the corner, (I am talking eighteen days and counting, we can do this) the stresses of school are hitting hard. With that being said, all the hard work you have put into taking care of yourself can start to dwindle around this time. Eating more junk than usual, slacking off on gym time, and staying up late every night are my biggest issues. Sometimes it can feel necessary in the name of good grades, but whenever Spring Break gets here, I never feel as good about myself as I did back in early February. But, now is the time to bring out your best self, so when Spring Break does get here you can be completely refreshed, while feeling beautiful and confident at the same time. HC Auburn brings you easy tips to get ready your best Spring Break self! It’s like a Spring Break pep talk, you’re welcome.

Freshen Up Your Face

All of the Victoria’s Secret models rocked glowy skin on the Swim Special last Friday (It was kind of my inspiration for the article). The secret to their looks isn’t (just) the makeup. The process to getting gorgeous skin starts weeks in advance. Eating healthy and working out are involved too, but we’ll talk about that later.

Start by exfoliating. Winter takes a toll on our skin, and with more dead skin cells, brings more acne. Use a sugar, baking soda, or salt scrub to scrub your face, not forgetting the lips! Keep it gentle though. So if you have sensitive skin you may want to stick with sugar since the particles are finer and thus not as a harsh on the skin.

Next, apply coconut oil. Coconut oil has a low heat point, meaning it can easily be heated. As soon as you put it in your hand, it begins to melt like butter. So all it takes is a small spoonful to cover your entire face. It turns to liquid as you rub it on and then it dries, leaving your face feeling like it has been, in the best way possible, covered in Chapstick. It is best to do this before bed because it takes a while for the oil to completely dry.

Give your teeth some attention too. Something about having a bright smile just screams healthy to me. There are no coffee, chocolate, and red wine stains. That might have something to with it. Use baking soda, or some other natural whitener every night for the next few weeks and you will see the difference. Please do not use whitening strips; they are just not good for your teeth.

Be Outside.

Whether it means going for a run, doing homework on the porch, or just lounging in the sun, being outside makes you feel better. Not to mention it relieves anxiety, improves your immune system, and increases your level of Vitamin D. Better yet, close your eyes and think of a peaceful place, like the beach, in order to relieve stress and remind  yourself that there is something to look forward to, Spring Break is so close.

Turn into a Pretzel.

Or double task, by being outside while turning into a pretzel. Power Yoga is probably my new favorite thing. It is an immediate stress reliever and can give your muscles a little more tone just in time for those swimsuits. Also, it’s just fun to see if I can conquer those crazy poses. Power Yoga is offered at the Rec Center at 8:00 pm on Tuesay nights.  

Find a Reason.

I normally don’t recommend having “motivational pictures” posted on the fridge, because it can lead to having false standards for your own body. But right now, I am saying yes, do it! You are probably tired of the gym at this point in the year, but having Beyonce looking at you every day can be that extra motivation for Spring Break.  With less than three weeks left of the countdown, there is still time to lose that extra five pounds or tone up the tummy. Or as I call it, the chocolate storage unit.

Make a playlist.

As a break from study time, find new music to listen to leading up to, and of course, during Spring Break. It can be a motivational tool, or straight up put you in a better mood.

Splurge on a Little Something.

Another way to take a break from studying, is online shopping. I normally stray away from it, just because I am supposed to be a poor college student. But it feels good to have something new to wear for Spring Break. It doesn’t have to be anything crazy expensive. It can be as something as small as cheap sunglasses to something more pricey like a Free People sun dress. Again, it’s all about finding a way to feel refreshed.

Eat Fresh.

Speaking of being refreshed, eating fresh foods is the perfect way to not only lose weight but get you in the mood for hot weather. It’s time to trade the chocolate cake or even Clif Bar for an apple or orange. Also, trade the coffee for water. Drinking water can make you feel more awake just like caffeine.  

Set Realistic Goals for the Break.

Before the break ever starts, prioritize what things absolutely have to get done. Do you have a paper due in the next few weeks and know you won’t have any other time to do it after the break? Put those things in a list, but nothing else. Leave the rest of the time for fun and don’t stress over anything that didn’t make the list.

You deserve the time away from the stresses of everyday life, so no matter how well “prepped” you are for Spring Break, remember to love yourself and reward yourself! 

cover image 

image 1

image 2

image 3

image 4

Lindy Olive is known for being a foodie health-nut hybrid, who thinks the best things in life happen in the kitchen. She is a senior at Auburn University, majoring in Nutrition & Wellness and minoring in Sustainability. She wrote for Her Campus Auburn for three years before taking on a role as Campus Corespondent. If you ever need her, you can find her in front of a computer, in a garden, or at the gym. Lindy likes to dream big, and right now, that dream consists of owning a garden-bakery while writing agriculture public policy or working for a test kitchen. When she isn't thinking about food, which is apparently rare, she is hiking with her boyfriend and dog, on a feminist rant, or having deep conversations with her best friends Bailey and Melissa.