4 Delicious Gluten-Free, Soy-Free, Vegan Dessert Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Auburn chapter.

Many of us have a friend that either genuinely has Celiac’s disease or simply thinks that gluten-free is the way to be. Either way, what do we cook for these collegiettes?! Add on top of this dilemma that there seems to be a vegan at every party. Additionally, some guests have soy allergies. Fear not – there are plenty of delicious alternatives to our favorite dishes.

Common Replacements:

Oil – grape seed oil (especially the spray variety) and coconut oil are soy-free.

Eggs – flax-eggs are simple, quick, and easy. 3 Tbsp of water + 1 Tbsp of flaxseed (found at any large grocery chain) are the equivalent of one egg.

Sugar – Sugar is naturally gluten and soy free, but applesauce can be substituted as a lower calorie option in cakes.  Agave nectar is delicious, but expensive. If you are cooking on a budget, regular sugar or applesauce is the way to go.

1. Brownies

These brownies are so full of protein and low calorie that you can eat one for breakfast! Don’t let the ingredients scare you – it really does taste just like a brownie.

2. Key Lime Pie

This is the healthiest key lime pie you will ever eat. This recipe needs about four times more lime juice than is called for. Gluten-free graham crackers occasionally contain soy – be sure to read the ingredients list! 1 cup of cashews and a quarter cup of dried apricots (processed until sticky and clumpy) are a good substitute.

3. Pumpkin Pie

There are many ways to make a vegan pumpkin pie, the first listing just happens to be one of the easiest. The comment section below the recipe is extremely helpful. There is also a no-bake version from Minimalist Baker that includes a coconut whipped cream recipe. Yum!

4. Pecan Pie

Eggs in this recipe can be substituted for “flax eggs” as described above. The honey may be substituted for molasses for strict vegans.

Hi everyone! I'm a Junior at Auburn University majoring in Biomedical Sciences (Pre-Pharm).