kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Say No To the Guilt and Treat Yo Self!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ASU chapter.

Sometimes, I have this bad habit of feeling guilty…of many things—good things. Like the times I decided to treat myself and buy that extra large fries or spend a night out with friends. Or the moments when I just lay there in bed trying to keep my thoughts at bay. While shoving food down my throat. It sucks. 

The truth is, I feel like this because of the ridiculous number of expectations I have for myself. I bury myself in all this work and I start thinking that the most important thing in the world is to finish it all. Not my health nor my happiness, but my work. My well-being goes down the drain when I have due dates hanging over me.

I know college can be quite a ride. Kind of like the type that stops once it gets all the way up and you realize you’re looking down at quite possibly your death. There’s that feeling of fear and dread, waiting for one due date after another until you feel like you’re going to pass out. But you never do! Because you can’t and you won’t! At least, that’s what we tend to tell ourselves. So do me a favor and throw that philosophy into the garbage. Please. For your own sake. 

I’m definitely not saying to procrastinate on everything until the day before is due, but don’t forget to give yourself a break once in a while. But make sure it’s an actual break and not just you sipping ramen for five minutes. If you want to go out with your friends, do it! If you want to have a spa/girl’s night in, go for it! Slaving away at a computer or notebook 24/7 is not good for you. Your body can only take so much. And after you graduate, you’re still going to have the body you ignored in college. 

How about we try to maintain some degree of health by the end of college? I think that’s a great goal! Hard? Yes. But possible? Heck yeah!

My point is, to treat yo self once in a while. Don’t completely ignore an assignment and do it at the last minute, but don’t overwork yourself to the point where you somehow end up collapsing and missing a class (that actually happened to one of my friends). Feed yourself regularly and don’t forget to take those moments to just breathe. Because sometimes we all think it’s okay, life starts after college, but forget that! Life is happening right before our eyes! Enjoy it.

Diana Arellano Barajas is a junior at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication in Arizona State University. She LOVES creating: graphics, animation, video editing, it's all fair game! Originally from a small town in Mexico, Diana currently resides in Phoenix. In her free time, if she isn't found attached to a book, she's writing about everything and anything including experimenting with visual content. Excited to write for HerCampus, Diana's ready to make readers smile, laugh, and possibly cry (in a good way). Feel free to contact her here: dianaarellano753@yahoo.com