neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

The Ten Ways to Increase Your Self Esteem

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Arizona chapter.

Did you know that May is national self-esteem month? In case you didn’t, I am here to inform you that it is time to start embracing yourself and working on increasing your self-esteem. We always can work on improving our self-esteem, especially now that we have a reason to since today is May 1st. With that said, we have created a list of the ten ways to increase your self-esteem:

COMPLIMENT YOURSELF

Who says the only person you can complement you is other people? It’s time to start looking in the mirror and giving yourself the love you give other people. And trust me, it will help you with receiving a compliment from someone else because now you are going to believe it. 

STEP OUTSIDE YOUR COMFORT ZONE

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone. You have probably heard that before, be it does. Start taking risks to do things that you usually wouldn’t or even that scare you. You never know what will come for you next. Life is meant to be lived with enjoyment. 

TRY NEW THINGS

By trying new things and doing activities, you might have never experienced will always be an incredible time. Start yes to things even if it seems like it might scare you or that you won’t like it. You never know what something can bring into your life, keep an open mind. 

MAKE DECISIONS

Speaking up and having a voice is an empowering feeling. When you start making decisions in front of people rather than “going with the flow” can influence how you feel about yourself and may change how much you enjoy what you are doing. Don’t hesitate when using your voice; we have one for a reason.

START SAYING NO

Just because your friend wants to do something, does not mean you have to do it too if you don’t want to. When you start standing up for yourself by saying “no” you will notice how your self-esteem is bound to improve. This is your life; you should enjoy it by doing what you want to, regardless if someone wants to influence you in another way or not.

BUILD POSITIVE RELATIONSHIP

Whether the people you surround yourself are negative or positive influences in your life can also affect your self-esteem. Surround yourself with people who bring things into your life. Things like happiness, fun, love. By doing so, you will get rid of the people who only bring negativity and stress into your life because you will see how enjoying spending time with positive people can be.

STOP COMPARING YOURSELF TO OTHERS

We are all individual humans with our own looks, our own personalities; we are our own selves. Embrace who you are as a person, accept your unique quirks, so you can stop feeling “less than” or “more than” someone else. We are all different and how can you compare something when there is no one standard?

ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR SUCCESS

We all need to start being proud of ourselves and our accomplishments that we have worked hard to do. Take me for an example; I spent a while not being proud of myself that I am about to graduate. I thought it was just something I had to do, but the fact is that I did it. We need to start recognizing our success and be proud of the milestones we have accomplished. 

BE GRATEFUL

Life is a fantastic gift. When you start living the life you want and feeling positive about who you are, you will begin to be grateful for everything you have. You might even find yourself being somewhat angry that you did not realize what you have sooner. Start realizing how different your life would be if you did not have the resources you have. Life is a pretty amazing gift, don’t waste it.

DON’T GIVE UP

Sometimes we are not always going to be good a something. Sometimes we want to beat yourself up over something that happened. We should remember how far we have come and how much further we are going to go. Don’t give up on yourself and keep pushing through even when it gets hard. Remind yourself that you deserve that.

Dayne DiSesa

Arizona '19

Dayne DiSesa is a senior at the University of Arizona. She is double majoring in Gender and Women Studies and Creative Writing, and working on fulfilling her life long dream of becoming a social worker. Dayne is a proud owner of two guinea pigs (Buritos and Dorritios), 20 dreamcatchers, and a car she named after Betty White. You can follow her on instagram: @sunflowersanddaynishes.