This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

As we get deeper and deeper into the fall, the air has become increasingly filled with pumpkin spice, colorful leaves and… germs. While it’s fun to romanticize the fall season and make the most of the aesthetic that comes with chai lattes and hot soup on a rainy day, it can be hard to ignore the elephant in the room that comes with increased allergies, colder temperatures and illnesses spreading. As someone who took the brunt of being sick this year, I’ve come up with a few hacks that will hopefully help you bounce back and push through the worst of your symptoms.

1. Do not underestimate the power of Vicks Vapor Rub.

Whether or not it’s an old wives tale is beyond me, but what I can say is that Vicks was a saving grace during the worst of my congestion. For those with a stuffy nose, applying the gel to the inside of your nostrils may help clear those pathways when you’ve blown your nose one too many times. If you had a blocked nose that turned into congestion in the chest, putting Vicks along your throat and over your ribs can greatly alleviate that pressure and help shake some of that gunk out. Finally, for those sleepless nights when your sinuses just won’t quit, my newfound trick has been to apply Vicks all over your feet before putting socks on. I can’t cite any science behind this, but I can vouch from personal experience that this was one of the only things that helped me to breathe at night and sleep easy. In conclusion, covering yourself with Vicks is not something to laugh at and overlook — it might actually help give you relief in the long run!

1. Try a DIY Starbucks Medicine Ball.

If you’ve ever had one of Starbucks’s infamous Medicine Ball drinks, you would know that it feels like the equivalent of using a squeegee on a sore throat. But sometimes, that same sore throat can keep you from wanting to get in the car and go get one for yourself. However, making them at home is easier than it seems, and you only need a few ingredients! Combine your choice of peach tea and mint tea in a cup of hot water, allowing them to steep for as long or short as you’d like. I personally recommend the Teavana brand, but have used other brands and got similar results! After that, add a bit of honey to the drink to sweeten it up before topping it off with a splash of your choice of lemonade. I personally use the Trader Joe’s lemonade, but again, any will do! Finally, it’s time to curl up with a blanket and a fun activity and you’re good to go! While Starbucks will always hold a special place in my heart, both my wallet and throat thanked me for making my own Medicine Balls!

1. Finally, above anything else, it’s imperative to listen to your body.

This one sounds like a no-brainer, but I’m sure you’ve experienced at least one point in your life where the workload flowed like a waterfall and it felt impossible to say no to anything. Or, maybe the FOMO got the best of you and you found yourself going out day after day and night after night, telling yourself that the memories at the end would be worth it. While it’s important to still prioritize these things, having a healthy balance of work, play and rest is crucial to your overall health. Burnout is very real, and can hit you like a freight train if you’re not careful. If your body tells you to rest, it’s better to have one night in than spend two weeks being sick. Your body will shut down if it’s not listened to, and you should never be embarrassed to put your health first; mental, physical, spiritual or emotional! 

Wishing you all a safe, healthy, happy and spooky season! While October is full of fun and silly events to keep you on your toes, don’t let the horror of Halloween come from a high number on the thermometer!

Lexi Handler

App State '23

Hello! I'm from Charlotte, North Carolina and am an alumna of Appalachian State University with a B.S. in public relations and hospitality and tourism management! When I'm not writing, I'm probably traveling, playing guitar or lost in a book.