This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

Music is something that almost everyone has some type of relationship with. Whether it’s a breakup song that makes you feel better after losing someone that meant a lot to you or an absolute BOP that makes you get up and dance, music can invoke many emotions. This week, we’re going to discuss the true power of music and how much it can affect our emotions.

Photo of a phone playing \"Red\" by Taylor Swift
Photo by Omin Armin from Unsplash
Ever since I was a child, I listened to any kind of music I could get my hands on. My mom used to love the Backstreet Boys so that’s what I grew up listening to, unfortunately. As I started to grow up, I started to acquire my own musical taste. This started with my first hearing, “Bangarang” by Skrillex. It’s definitely not something that my parents would ever enjoy but this was the first time in my life in which music showed me just how much it can transport me to an almost dreamlike world. As I grew up, even more, I was introduced to genres such as jazz, R&B, hip-hop, house, and soul. That’s when I started my endless journey of finding different worlds to visit through music.

As someone who suffers from depression, anxiety, and autism, music can be the perfect distraction from the many stresses of everyday life. Whenever I can take the time to sit down and listen to music for a while, I can relax and heal from any and all stresses I may have experienced on a specific day. Music is something so simple that seems to do the impossible. There is much evidence suggesting that music can and does reduce stress, encourage relaxation, and even treat some types of pain (Novotney, 2013). This surprises me as even something like listening to death metal has demonstrated the same levels of relaxation and stress reduction as something like jazz.

As someone who suffers from depression, anxiety, and autism, music can be the perfect distraction from the many stresses of everyday life.

people at a concert with bright lights
Photo by Aditya Chinchure from Unsplash

My personal musical journey made me fall in love with artists such as Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole, Daft Punk, and Alina Baraz but your musical journey may look completely different than mine. The importance of your musical journey is not who or what you listen to, but that it inspires emotions within, and transports you to a world that you didn’t even know existed. With music, not only can you transport yourself to a different world, but also feel certain emotions. Something like jazz can inspire calmness or even euphoria, depending upon the style of jazz you’re listening to. On the other hand, something like hip-hop can inspire happiness or even such intense euphoria that you get up and dance. 

albums
Photo by Natalie Cardona from Unsplash

Music can be your best friend when you’re sad or your guilty pleasure when you just can’t seem to stop listening to that one song that everyone else hates. Go out, listen to your favorite song or a song you’ve never heard before and enjoy every emotion you experience. As always, be great, smell great!

Brandon Darden

App State '23

Brandon is a junior English, Secondary Education major at Appalachian State University. After graduating in the spring of 2023, Brandon hopes to encourage interest in learning, especially in the minds of high school students. Brandon has been a member of HerCampus App State since 2021, and along with being one of its current Campus Correspondents, specializes in writing about fragrance and beauty while also writing about other topics such as mental health, experiences in college as a person of color, and poetry.