This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

This past winter break was definitely a great one. I hung out with friends, made hilarious memories, and… I GOT MY FIRST TATTOO!!

This may not seem like a huge deal, but for me it kinda was. It was fairly last minute, and getting something drawn on my body permanently always freaked me out because of how constantly indecisive I am. Sure I’d love the design in that moment, but what about 20 years down the road? I literally overthink everything, by the way.

It started with my sister pulling me into my room and telling me that her and a family friend had an appointment with an artist in just two days. They were getting semi-colon tattoos, and she wanted me to get one as well. For those of you who may not know the meaning behind semi-colon tattoos, here’s an explanation.

The semi-colon tattoo can be for those who either went through depression, anxiety, addiction, etc., or it can be for those who supported others going through those problems. The meaning behind the tattoo held a special place in mine and my sister’s heart, so I decided to go through with it (after two days of freaking out and questioning myself every 10 minutes). I wanted a different form of the semi-colon and saw a couple of ideas that I liked; then I decided to see if I could piece them together. The artist was so kind and willing to put together my perfect tattoo, and I couldn’t be any happier with the outcome.

Getting the tattoo itself was definitely NOT as bad as I thought it would be, and if I say so myself, I took it like a champ. It took about 2-3 weeks for it to completely heal, but now that it has I am more in love than I was throughout the whole scabby, ashy healing process.

So, I started out 2018 with a tattoo of a symbol. A symbol of all the past horrible roadblocks that I managed to make my way around as well as a symbol of the future, which I am now more than ready to face.

Huge thank you to Doug from Pandora’s Box in Sanford, NC for making my first tattoo better than I could’ve imagined, and to everyone who has helped me on my journey.