This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at App State chapter.

From shorter days to less daylight and cold temperatures, winter months can often inflict chemical changes in the brain, resulting in symptoms including social withdrawal, inactivity, and depression.

According to the National Institute of Mental Health, Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD, affects millions of Americans yearly, usually starting in young adults. 

Seasonal Affective Disorder is a type of depression that usually occurs during the winter months when there is less daylight. Although the exact cause of SAD is not fully understood, reduced exposure to sunlight can disrupt the body’s internal clock and affect the balance of chemicals in the brain, such as serotonin and melatonin. This disruption can lead to various physical and emotional symptoms affecting a person’s daily life.

“Brain chemistry is complicated,” said licensed clinical mental health clinician/supervisor Amy Owensby. She encourages college students to pace themselves, prioritize sleep, plan ahead, stay active, and engage with the people around them during colder months. 

Owensby said that natural movement is an effective treatment for SAD. “One of the best things we can do naturally for mood regulation is to partake in natural movement outdoors, whether hiking, walking, or riding a bike.”

A big reason mental health is affected by the colder months is the lack of accessible outdoor activity. “It lifts the mood to be out in fresh air, but it is more difficult to get outside in winter.” 

There are ways to combat the lack of outdoor time by being active indoors. “Coming back to campus in January, it’s still cold and dark, so I would recommend active indoor activities like fitness centers and workout classes if you’re willing and able to attend,” Owensby said. 

The length of seasonal affective disorder can vary per person. Owensby said that those who have mental illness have an element of choice. “Individuals who are proactive by seeking help will recover or manage more healthily.”

Owensby encourages students to care for their physical and spiritual needs while remembering their routines. “If you’re attending to the basic areas of self-care routines, you’re going to manage your mental health better,” Owensby said. 

There are many tangible treatments one can consider. Owensby said that seeking counseling can be a very positive and supportive thing for students. 

Assisting people who are struggling can be hard to navigate; you want to provide them with as much support and guidance as possible while being mindful of not crossing boundaries or being too intrusive. Owensby advises others to be available to listen and encourage professional help while paying attention to self-care is paramount.

Kayla Masterman

App State '25

My name is Kayla Masterman, I am a junior studying Journalism with a minor in creative engagement and social change at Appalachian State University. When I'm not writing, I can be found enjoying the picturesque surrounding mountains!