Wellness > Health

Yoga Kept Me Sane During My First Weeks at AU: A Review of AU’s Amazing RecFit Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

During my first few weeks here at American University, I started to notice that I was desperately craving the little things that made my home state of New Jersey feel like home. I missed my room and hanging out with my friends – but mostly I missed the Sunday morning yoga class I took with my mom every week. Every Sunday morning we would get up at the crack of dawn and drive down to the Jersey Shore (almost an hour away) to take a yoga class with a woman who became one of our favorite instructors. She owned a little Iyengar yoga studio in Asbury Park and taught some of the best classes that I have ever attended. After class, I would always feel centered both mentally and physically, as if my life was completely balanced.

Having this class as part of my weekly routine was something I only realized I missed after it was gone. So, when I arrived at AU back in August I was determined to find a yoga class either on campus or off campus where I could go to continue my practice. Luckily, I stumbled upon the Cassell Fitness Center and the rest was history.

I attended one of the free classes that the rec center offered to students during the first week of the new semester and from that moment on I was hooked. I decided to make their Wednesday morning yoga class part of my weekly routine. One of the reasons why I loved this class instantly was because it reminded me of the class I used to take every Sunday morning with my mom, but also I really enjoyed the class’s instructor, Eva Blutinger. 

I have been attending Eva Blutinger’s Wednesday morning yoga class, from 11:30am – 12:30pm, since the start of classes almost 2 months ago. Eva is an AU alumni (class of ‘79) who upon the great “computing boom” of the 80’s went into computer marketing. Now, Eva is a proud mother of three boys and a Yogi for life. Each week I feel as if I learn something new about myself from Eva and I am so grateful to be taking her class.

The class does a beautiful job of integrating classic flow techniques with core strengthening, among many of the other valuable skills one can gain from yoga. In taking Eva’s class, I have learned a lot of important skills that I now plan to implement in my own yoga practice, apart from my weekly group class. If you want to learn some great tips on how to start your own yoga practice from out of your dorm click here!

PC: 1,2

Julia Whitman

American '22

Hey I'm Julia and I am currently a freshman at American University! As of right now, I am undecided in the College of Arts & Sciences, but I love science and also gender studies. I am from the suburban town of Westfield, NJ, but I am a city girl at heart and can't wait to spend the next four years in DC!