harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
harits mustya pratama g4iBHZM sKY unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

As college students, we often don’t  destress or relax as often as we should. Busy schedules, exams and socializing take up so much time that it’s easy to forget to take a breath every once in a while. If there’s one part of your day that can be manipulated into relaxation time, it’s your walk to class. This can be prime time to unwind and collect yourself before moving on to the rest of your day! Below are a couple ways to destress during this time.

Put away your phone

Although my phone is basically an appendage at this point, it’s one of the simplest ways to unwind. Phones and social media are a huge cause of anxiety for many people, so limiting five minutes of your day to a technology-free walk is a great way to take a breather. Not only will this allow you to decompress, but your chances of walking into someone go way, way down! No more embarrassing bumps into that cutie from your World Politics class.

Breathe deeply

Breathing is a key factor in destressing. Taking deep, controlled breaths have been proven to calm anxieties. It’s is the easiest way to change your state of mind from messy to controlled. On your next walk to class, try the “4-7-8” technique. First, exhale completely through your mouth, making a “whoosh” sound. Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose for four seconds. Then, hold your breath for seven seconds and exhale through your mouth for eight seconds. This calms the mind and allows you to refocus quickly and efficiently.

Smile

No, seriously. It’s been proven that simply smiling can make you feel happier! Along the same vein, improving your posture can also increase your mood. Walk proud and fake it ‘till you make it!

Listen to your favorite music

Feeling stressed? Putting on an upbeat song is a surefire way to get yourself pumped up! Below are a few of my favorite feel-good songs.

Baby, I Don’t Know Oh Oh – Vulfpeck

Ramblin’ Man – The Allman Brothers Band

Paradise By the Dashboard Light – Meat Loaf

Take Me Out – Franz Ferdinand

Shine A Little Love – Electric Light Orchestra

Miranda – Fleetwood Mac

If you’re stress is severe, do not hesitate to use the on-campus resources. The Counseling Center is available to talk.

Mary Graydon Center, 214 

Phone: (202) 885-3500

Hours: Mon & Thurs, 9:00 am – 6:00 pm; Tues, Wed, & Fri, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm  Closed on Saturday and Sunday

(Image Credit: Cover, 1)

Ayala Ossowski

American '22

Ayala is a freshman at AU from New Jersey! She is studying Public Relations and Strategic Communications and loving it. Her interests include thrift shopping, Harry Styles, and taking care of her plants.