This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

We all know how hard it is to maintain a healthy lifestyle while in college. Maybe you’re too busy studying to get a real meal so you opt for some chips at the pod, or maybe it’s your magical ID card that buys you all the food you can imagine in one swipe. Either way, it’s easy to get off track. Keep reading for some tips to healthy eating while in college!

Keep staples in your dorm room

1. Breakfast

If you have time: A great staple for your dorm is oatmeal. It’s healthy, takes two minutes to make, and fills you up until lunch. I’d recommend getting a tub from any nearby store and it’ll last you for a month or two at a time. Because the healthiest oatmeal is usually the original kind (no added brown sugar or other flavors), to make it more tasty (and healthy?!) you can add protein powder. For example, I have some chocolate-flavored protein powder that I add to my oatmeal and it honestly makes it taste like a dessert. Throw some berries and chia seeds on top and you have a gourmet meal.

If you don’t have time: Fruit. If you’re running late for class and only have time to grab something on the go, bananas, apples, etc are the move. You can also put some in your oatmeal if you’re feeling extra fancy. Protein bars are also good to have on hand, but make sure you look at the ingredients before you buy them. If it has way more carbs and sugars than protein, it’s essentially a glorified candy bar.

If you have the tech: Smoothies!!! They’re easy to make, can be very healthy, and make for a really tasty breakfast (and if you’re an early riser your roommate will really love you). Be careful with the smoothies at the pod or grocery stores because even though most contain lots of fruits, veggies, protein, and vitamins, a lot also have a huge amount of sugar in the mix.

*Smoothie Recipe*

• An abundance of fruit (preferably frozen)
  • Kale or spinach or other green things – I swear you won’t taste it
  • Almond milk/orange juice
  • Plain Greek yogurt (optional)

2. Lunch/dinner

Personally, I think it’s a lot easier to eat lunch and dinner in the dining hall or at any of the cafes/restaurants on campus. You can definitely make good healthy lunches or dinners in your dorm, but that usually involves having a lot of ingredients on hand. There are always the instant ramen and mac and cheese cups in the pod, but these are usually high in carbs, sodium, and fat. If you are able to keep several ingredients in your room, however, here are a few meal options:

Stir-fry that’s not really stir-fry

• Cut up baby potatoes into thin slices and put on a saucepan (allow to cook for a few minutes, then add the other ingredients to the pan)
  • Veggies (add as many or as few as you want): Cucumber slices, baby tomatoes, carrots, onion slices, zucchini, bell peppers
  •  Protein: Sausage slices, turkey or ham pieces, tofu, chicken, beef  

Salads

• Kale/spinach/mixed greens
  • Carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, onions, avocados etc.
  • Fruit (optional), mandarin oranges, strawberries, etc.
  • Protein; meats (chicken, steak, fish), nuts, tofu, eggs
  • Try to avoid salad dressings (especially the creamy ones) because most are high in sodium, fat, and sugar.

Sandwiches

• Make sure to include a significant portion of protein such as chicken, turkey, tuna
  • Opt for whole grain or whole wheat bread rather than white bread
  • Veggies!! Tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, onions, olives, etc.
  • Try not to use mayonnaise because it’s high in fat!

3. Snacks

Snacks are the bane of a college student’s existence. Therefore, having snacks that will actually give you energy is surprisingly important. First of all, there are a lot of things you can do with peanut butter/almond butter/sunflower butter. Slice up some apples or celery and dip into any of those options, or simply spread some on a rice cracker or piece of whole grain toast. If you can eat nuts, having a handful of cashews or almonds in your backpack is also a healthy, energizing snack. Another great option is hummus. You can dip carrots, celery, wheat thins, pretzels, and more into hummus and have a great tasting snack. Also, any kind of raw veggie on its own (bell peppers, carrots, etc) is always good! If you’re a fan of dairy, having cheese sticks in your fridge is super easy snack on the go, and although they take a bit more effort, hard boiled eggs are a good high protein snack to have on hand. Lastly, like I talked about above, fruit and protein/granola bars are perfect on-the-move snacks. Just make sure the bars aren’t full of sugar and carbs!

Restaurants/stores on campus

Subway. A lot of people consider Subway to be healthy fast-food. Don’t get me wrong, you can get a relatively healthy meal there, but a lot of the food is no better than your classic McDonald’s meal. It’s all about what you put on your sandwich. To begin, choose a whole grain bread and stay away from white bread. White bread is made from refined grains that cause sharp spikes in blood sugar and insulin levels. Next, while the meat is a good source of protein, keep in mind that it also contains a load of salt and preservatives, so don’t go overboard adding bacon and salami. The cheese at Subway is similarly risky – it contains a ton of sodium, fat, and preservatives. Your best bet is adding as many veggies as you can, and avoiding the sauces.

Another factor to point out at Subway and most of the restaurants on campus is that the meal swipes always come with the option of chips or fruit and a fountain drink or coffee. Most people opt for the fountain drink, and end up with a cup full soda with a ton of sugar and other random ingredients. Instead, fill your cup with water or one of the other healthier options like vitamin water. Also, grab a banana instead of a bag of chips full of sodium and fat.

The Pod. Oh how we all love to grab a good midnight snack at the pod. Sadly, it’s a dangerous place to be. It’s stockpiled full of junk, and while we all need our occasional candy or chips, it’s not somewhere you need to be going on a daily basis. If you’re looking for a quick snack at the pod, grab a protein/granola bar, some fruit, an Odwalla smoothie, or one of their small snack boxes from the fridge. However, make sure you look at the labels to ensure you’re not simply buying a package full of sugar and that there’s actually some nutritional value!

MGC. There are a ton of great places to grab a healthy meal either at a restaurant or in the dining hall. First of all, Freshii has tons of healthy food options. The bowls, salads, and soup are usually packed with veggies, proteins, and other healthy nutrients. At Einstein’s you have to be more careful about what you pick if you’re trying to find a healthier option. In general, bagels don’t offer a lot of nutrients and contain a ton of carbs. However, if you want a bagel, go for one that’s whole wheat and not cinnamon raisin. Instead of getting plain cream cheese or butter, maybe try something with veggies, peanut butter, or avocado. Also, don’t forget about the salad option!

TDR. Lastly, we have TDR, the dining hall we all have a love-hate relationship with. A good tip for TDR or any dining hall is to take a lap before you load up your plate. For TDR in particular, when you walk in you’re immediately greeted by fries on one side and desserts on the other. Take a lap and notice all of your options. Generally, the stir-fry section is pretty healthy as it combines chicken/tofu with veggies and noodles/rice. Try to avoid the burgers, hot dogs, and pizza, and go for a salad or some pasta, meat, and veggies. Also, instead of always getting a fountain drink, maybe try some citrus-flavored water by the pasta section.

General Tips

1. Try to limit your sugar intake as much as possible because even though it gives you a short energy boost, you’ll ultimately crash.
  2. Eat healthy first, and if you want to indulge, do it after. You won’t be as hungry because you’ll be full of healthy food, so you’ll be less tempted to feast upon unhealthy foods.
  3. Healthy fats like nuts and avocados are good, but in moderation. For example, an avocado is full of heart-healthy nutrients, but it is also very high in calories and fat.
  4. If there are more than 10 ingredients listed on the back of a package, or if you can’t pronounce most of the ingredients, you probably shouldn’t eat.

Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4

Maggie Schutte

American '22

Hey, I'm Maggie, and I'm a freshman at AU this year! I'm studying International Relations with a minor in Japanese, and I really want to study abroad in Japan at some point. My hometown is Evergreen, Colorado, but I've live in San Diego, California for the past several years.