This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

Think about it…When is the last time you had some me time? Be honest…That’s what I thought! It is something that most of us are guilty of. We get so busy with school, work, relationships, etc…that we forget to take some time for ourselves. It is extremely important to remember to give yourself some extra love! This is easier said than done. What constitutes “me time”? How often should I do it? If you find yourself asking these kinds of questions, I have got you covered with some ideas below. 

Studies have shown that giving yourself 15-30 minutes a day to unwind can improve a plethora of factors in your life, including: mood, productivity, sleep, physical and mental health, and many more. So make this a priority! The more time you set aside, the better. This brings me to the first suggestion: Exercise! Yes, I know this is something what we have all heard time and time again because of the many benefits exercise provides, but it’s 100% true! If you can set aside thirty minutes to an hour everyday to exercise, I promise you will see a significant improvement in your stress level. However, this does not have to be vigorous exercise! This can be so much as going on a walk or attending a yoga class, something to quiet the mind and step away from all the stressors of everyday life. 

If athletics or exercising just isn’t your thing, no worries! “Me time” is all about doing something that relaxes you, so of course you have to decide what exactly that is. Taking time every day to read a bit of a book or color ia also a great outlet for stress. If you’re not sure what to read, check out the library or see what New York Magazine is currently reading for some awesome suggestions. Also, do not underestimate the power of coloring. It has been proven to significantly reduce stress and provide a creative outlet for adults. This trend has led to the creation of incredible coloring books that are designed for adults. So go ahead and bust out the crayons or colored pencils, what are you waiting for?

Pampering yourself is an excellent way to find some inner peace. Although this probably is not possible for most of us to do daily, it’s a great idea to do it once or twice a week. This can be as simple as doing a face mask, painting your nails, or taking an extra long shower. Whatever makes you feel beautiful and relaxedHere are some budget-friendly DIY spa treatments that you can try and share with your friends.

In truth, there are so many ways to care for yourself, from taking the time to watching your favorite movie to turning up the music and having a private dance party in your dorm. There is no right or wrong here. It is all about taking some time each day to appreciate and love you, because you deserve it! 

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5