This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

American University Students didn’t expect the Friday before Spring Break to be their last day on campus for the semester. President Sylvia Burwell announced that all classes will continue online for the remainder of the Spring 2020 semester. Additionally, on March 16 it was announced that the first positive COVID-19 case was detected among the AU population. All American University Students have been instructed to move out of their on-campus housing by March 23, 2020. 

In Washington, DC ten people have tested positive for COVID-19 and the DMV has 101 cases of COVID-19. In response, Mayor Muriel E. Bowser ordered all restaurants and bars to close on-site services beginning March 16 at 10 pm. Nationally, people are being asked not to leave their homes unless for essential purposes. 

To support students and residents of DC who are being affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, the DC community has come together to support each other with a variety of resources. 

DC Mutual Aid Group

A Facebook Group has been created for DC residents to support each other through mutual aid, which they describe as political participation to care for one another. People who need help or people who are able to give help post in the group detailing their needs and abilities. 

Market Care Packages

Park View Farmers Market is offering $20 market care packages. You can order a package for yourself or a local non-profit through their google forum. There is a delivery option or a pickup option. The package includes bread, eggs, apples, nuts, and vegetables.

Hook Hall Helps

Hospitality industry workers are eligible for care kits by Hook Hall in an attempt to reduce the harm caused by lay-offs and reduced hours. They will be available beginning March 16 for pick-up at Hook Hall. The packages will include “shelf stable foods and paper goods.”

To find more resources, Evan Petschke created a shared Google Document with a detailed guide to resources in DC. If you have any more questions about the situation at American University check out their FAQ Page. Additionally, follow local AU news especially Visible AU for more updates. 

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Abby Henry, the President of Her Campus at American, uses she/her pronouns. She is a junior at American University studying Women's, Gender, & Sexuality Studies and Sociology. Her hometown is Canton, Ohio and she previously attended Syracuse University in New York. Her passions include but are not limited to transnational feminism, vegan chicken nuggets, and queer reproductive justice.