This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at American chapter.

TW: Mental Health, Depression, Suicide

Mental Health is an important topic to continue speaking about. By being open about your struggles, you can work to destigmatize mental health challenges. Music is a powerful tool that can be used to do just this. 

I Won’t Give Up” by Jason Mraz

“I Won’t Give Up” has a strong emphasis on how difficult relationships can be. With no specific focus on romantic relationships, listeners can apply the lyrics to work relationships, friendships and familial relationships. Jason Mraz places a heavy emphasis on not giving up when times get tough, and by taking time to work on our relationships, things can get better.  “I Won’t Give Up” is about focusing on the future and working towards the things in our lives that may be hard.

If you are struggling with your relationships, Conflict Resolution Skills from HelpGuide is a helpful resource that focuses on responding to conflict, emotional awareness, and meaningful communication. 

Statis” (Acoustic Version) by Eli Moon

When we ourselves are hurting, it is hard to be there as a support for others. Eli Moon focuses on the importance of feeling heard and supported in his song “Statis.” This song also talks about how important love is to the healing process. Although we may feel “eternally dead inside” with a strong support system, we can continue to fight each day to stay alive. 

When you are fighting to stay alive, this can bring up a lot of intense emotions. If you feel that you are lacking support and are fighting harder than usual, warmlines can be a helpful resource. Warmlines allow you to utilize peer-to-peer support to talk about what is on your mind if you are feeling lower than usual but not in a crisis moment.

One More Day” by The Wood Brothers

Many people experience low points in their life. For some these lows may be days that they struggle to get out of bed and for others, these may be days where they force themselves to put on a fake smile. “One More Day” places emphasis on the fact that with love and support from those around us, things will get better with time. With a little bit of time, help and outside support, there is a possibility of brighter days ahead. 

If you are facing a lot of low feelings and do not have support available, Mental Health is Health connects visitors of the website to resources, articles and supports to help you feel not as alone.

Living in the Moment” by Jason Mraz

In this uplifting song, Jason Mraz sings about the importance of letting go and living in the moment. While it may be difficult to let go of negative feelings and experiences, it is important to not let them flow into our day to day lives. By allowing ourselves to let go of the negativity of our pasts, we will begin to experience a freer side of ourselves. 

“Living in the Moment” allows listeners to realize that everything that has happened in the past does not need to bleed into the future. If we live in the moment, we can allow ourselves to enjoy a more peaceful life.

It is important to note that it is not always possible to work through past trauma on your own. If you are looking for counseling support, Inclusive Therapists helps you find a therapist that you can identify with and be supported by.

Music can help us feel seen, heard, and understood. Although this is true, with the struggles of daily life constantly surrounding us, sometimes music is not enough. In these moments, there are additional supports that are available. Throughout this article, you can find helpful resources to support you through the feelings emphasized in the songs highlighted in this article.

Gabrielle (she/her/hers) is a sophomore at American University majoring in elementary education and minoring in Spanish. She has been a writer since Fall 2020 and is the publishing director for our print magazine for Fall 2021. In her free time, she enjoys working with children and supporting diverse learners.