Learn More About the SGA Presidential Candidates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

It’s Election Season once again! Read below about each candidate and their platforms and don’t forget to vote Tuesday, March 6 from 7am to 7pm on MyBama. The candidates are listed in order of who responded to our feature request and each candidate’s Facebook page is linked.

Marissa Navarro

I am committed to challenging traditions on campus. Seeing a lack of representation in almost every organization on campus inspired me to make my mark by joining SGA Senate, College of Arts & Sciences Ambassadors, and the Blackburn Institute. Through my work at UA Crossroads, I have successfully worked with faculty and administrators to create representation on campus for marginalized communities. During my time here at the Capstone I have created The Hispanic-Latino Association, passed legislation through Senate in support of DACA students on campus, brought awareness to UA’s food pantry system, and wrote a resolution for transparency between SGA and the student body. Recently, I was awarded the 2018 Realizing the Dream Horizon Award and Bloom Premier Award for my dedication to social justice and equality. I am running for president because it’s time to change the standard of expectations on our campus. SGA should be filled with students who are truly passionate about creating a safer, affordable, and inclusive environment for all students. As president, I will strive to create a campus where student wellbeing and safety are the top priorities. I will promote awareness of essential campus offices, such as, Alabama Reach and Title IX. I will work with various UA administrators to install more lights and cameras, promote the UA Safety app, and combat sexual assault. I also want to bring awareness to tools on campus to end homelessness, food insecurity, and ending the stigma on mental health. Additionally, I will work towards initiatives that ensure students have access to financial resources. I want to introduce more in-depth FAC trainings, promoting Salt, and modernize the SGA website, more specifically, the scholarships tab, so that students can easily access emergency funding, scholarships, and grants. Lastly, I am committed to creating a campus that is welcoming to all students by increasing the number and retention of diverse students and faculty. I will establish initiatives that require greek organizations to collaborate with cultural groups and require SGA participation in diversity and inclusion workshops. I am fully committed to fighting on behalf of students. Together, we can make a difference and make our mark.

Amber Scales

The University of Alabama is my home and I believe that every student deserves to feel at home here too. During my time at the Capstone, I have had the privilege to get to know students across our campus. I’ve engaged with potential students and their families as a member of Capstone Men and Women, given back to Tuscaloosa with my sisters in Alpha Kappa Alpha, performed with members of Alpha Psi Omega, and facilitated dialogues as the Vice Chair of the Blackburn Institute. As SGA’s Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion I work daily to foster a campus community that stands against hatred and embraces diversity. I value every member of the university community and respect our unique identities because I know that they make us stronger. I believe that our campus can bring together our diverse student body by creating true community, respecting elements of diversity, and leveraging our unique talents as work to grow stronger. Together, we can unite UA. As your next SGA President, I will work to create an environment where every student can feel safe, access resources, and be successful. I envision a transparent SGA that acts as a bridge between students and resources using engagement ambassadors to help students get involved and find their passions. Students need the tools to stand up, speak out, and make a difference. I want to promote training for alcohol and drug abuse, diversity, and bystander intervention to our campus clubs and organizations so that students are prepared to act. I will work with administration to improve reporting channels for acts of discrimination on campus and create an organized system to ensure students are held responsible for their actions. Students need to know about the mental health resources that  are available and I will build upon existing programs to further cultivate a culture of support and understanding. I will also promote the hiring of a campus sustainability officer to improve our campus impact on the environment. If elected, I will continue to advocate for students, seek your input, and serve this campus. I know that this election isn’t about me. It’s about you. It’s about each and every student-united. Our talents, goals, and visions. Join me as we #TipTheScales and continue to better this campus.

Price McGiffert

My name is Price McGiffert and I would love nothing more than to serve as The University of Alabama’s SGA President. I’m a Tuscaloosa native and a junior studying civil engineering who is actively involved across campus in organizations such as The Honor’s College and Capstone Men and Women. I have a strong background in academics, leadership and service and have had the pleasure to serve as Vice President for External Affairs. Serving in this capacity has provided me with the knowledge, network, experience and track record to be a successful student body president. Consequently, I have made a conscious effort to focus on projects and initiatives that benefit and include all students. My platform known as “Price’s Plan” is centered on six main areas that include: Campus and student safety, diversity and inclusion, mental health, student experience upgrades, and ethics and transparency in SGA. My plan is to enact initiatives and programming that will benefit our students at the capstone and continue to move our university forward in a progressive and inclusive way. 

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.