This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name: Jamie Young

Hometown: Andalusia, Alabama

Major: Marketing, Sales Specialization

Relationship status: In a relationship

Favorite movie: Beetlejuice

Favorite place to study on campus: “I’ve spent lifetimes in Bruno Library. I own stock in it at this point.”

Favorite place to eat in Tuscaloosa: “Midnight Sushi, not because it’s the best food around but it is really fun.”

What clubs are you involved in? “I’m very involved with Alpha Kappa Psi and LIFT. With LIFT, I taught a Professional Development class to adults trying to re-enter the workforce. They always hold so much knowledge you can never find in a textbook, so I end up learning more than they do I think.”

What do you love most about being in AKPsi? “AKPsi is where I found my first friends. It’s where I found belonging. I could go on forever about it because I’m just so passionate about the people and the purpose. It’s a lot more than just rocking business casual, though we do that pretty well too.”

What was the best part about studying abroad? “The best part about studying abroad is that I never thought I’d be able to do it. Before January I’d only seen my southeast portion of the US. I’m the first in my family to really see the world, against all odds. The top few things I’ve learned are:

1. Language barriers don’t stop you from communicating. 

2. It will fit in a backpack if you really need it. Ryanair doesn’t give you room for luxury. 

3. Call your mom a lot, always. 

4. The world is a complex place, but the basic concept of all people is easy. Treat them with kindness and it will be returned in some way.

5. Homemade pasta is the only pasta.  

More info on studying abroad can be found on my mediocre blog: https://homewardbound.travel.blog/

What are you passionate about? “At my core I am passionate about people, stories, and music. I grew up hanging with my dad and his classic rock cover band in Florida, going to the gigs with him and everything. From my table nearest to the stage I might have lost some hearing but I gained a lot of knowledge about music, and even more about people’s stories. I learned music made all kinds of people happy no matter what their story was.”

What has been the best class you have taken at UA so far? “My best class was probably my UH 300 course on Dante’s Inferno. If you get the chance you should take it. The professor hilariously explains caveats and ideals within the whole poem.”

If your life were an ice cream flavor what would it be? “After my experience here in Italy I would hope I could be gelato. Probably 2 scoops. Probably mint chip and dark chocolate.”

What is the best concert you have ever gone to? “The best concert would have to be the A Day to Remember/Bring Me the Horizon concert I went to freshman year. It took a 10 hour road trip to get there with two of my best friends and I cried when they played a few favorites of mine.”

What do you like to do in your free time? “I enjoy paddleboarding, going to the gym, yoga, road-trips, hanging out with my cat, and playing guitar. My boyfriend recently gave me a harmonica so once I can play that expect to see me on the quad with a hat for tips in my free time.”

What do you think is your best quality? “My best quality is that I can make a killer playlist for most any occasion.”

What’s the best advice you have ever gotten? “My mom once told me to keep my heart soft enough to feel the pain of others, but hard enough to keep anyone from running over me.”

Where do you see yourself in five years? “In five years I hope to have a fulfilling career that also pays the bills. I hope I will have seen a few new states. I hope to continue to have people in my life who drive to be better. I hope to see my family happy and healthy.”

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.