This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

At the beginning of this semester, I decided to start doing something I had never done before. I decided to start writing in a journal. Why you ask? I honestly couldn’t tell you. But I can tell you, it’s been pretty life-changing. I know that might sound dramatic, but it has.

I’m not (and have never been) the best at expressing my feelings. It makes me uncomfortable and anxious, and I have a hard time conveying what I feel to others. I’m not going to lie – I even felt this way when I first started writing in my journal. I had to remind myself that this book and these words are for me and me only. Once I convinced myself of this, everything changed.

Instead of bottling things up, I could let it all out on the page. I was able to release all those built up emotions, feelings, secrets, etc. onto a piece of paper, knowing it wasn’t heard by anyone else. Throughout this journey, I’ve become more honest with myself. Sometimes we are too afraid to even admit to ourselves that we are feeling a certain way, or come to terms with why we’re feeling that way. My honesty and vulnerability has also made me much more self-aware. The first step to fixing bad habits or changing negative thoughts is to recognize you have them and to understand why.

Journaling has ultimately led me to a happier, healthier life. I spend time every day with myself and my thoughts and emotions, which I think is very important. Often times, we try to run and hide from the thoughts and feelings that we’re afraid of. But getting them out, even just to yourself, is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

I am from North Carolina.I am currently a junior majoring in Marketing at UA.
I am currently enrolled and The Univerity of Alabama. A travel enthusiast who plans to see the whole world from the window of my tiny house. I believe that exploring the world and learning about other cultures is the cure of prejudice. There are something many places and people to meet, and i just want to share my experiences.