samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

‘Tis the season of career fairs… well, let’s be real, isn’t it always? Looking for the perfect summer internship or post-graduation job alongside thousands of your peers sounds incredibly stressful and overwhelming. But, coming to the career fair doesn’t have to be so intimidating if you do it right.

Do your research!!!

Give yourself a few days prior to the career fair to figure out what companies will be there. Find out which ones have openings for your desired position, and which of those companies you’d be interested in working for. Of those, look into what qualifications and preferences they have and which of those you possess.

Make a master resume.

Once you’ve done your research, you’ll have an idea of some of the basic things most companies are looking for. Tailor a master resume that showcases all your great qualities, accomplishments, and experiences relevant to the job positions.

Bring your resume!

You’ve done all that hard work… so don’t forget to make copies! Bring more copies than you think you need because you never know what opportunity will present itself at the career fair. The last thing you want is to run out of copies.

Dress to impress… and for comfort.

Make sure you follow the dress code, especially if it says business professional. Go the extra mile to iron all your clothes and make sure you look your best. But, also make sure you’re comfortable. Being uncomfortable at the career fair will only cause distractions and more stress.

Take a lap.

When you arrive at the career fair, take a lap. Get familiar with the location and where companies are located. During the lap, you might even talk to a few companies you aren’t too interested in so that you can get yourself warmed up and comfortable.

Don’t limit yourself.

Don’t be afraid to talk to more businesses than you had originally planned. The more you talk to the better your chances of getting the position… you might even get more choices when it comes to where you work.

Career fairs can sound like such a scary thing. But, coming prepared and comfortable can give you all the confidence you need to succeed.

I am from North Carolina.I am currently a junior majoring in Marketing at UA.