This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

1) Go Out

When you have three essays, two exams, and a project on your plate, the last thing on your mind is taking a break. Sure, your working on a timeline, but all work and no play leads to burnout. Try to balance out your Monday-Friday with a fun club or group meeting in the evenings (besides who gets any good work done at 8 pm on a Wednesday night?). You’ll find new friends and feel productive while taking a break from hitting those books.

I was horrible my freshman year when it came to making to class on time, or waiting until the last minute to do assignments (those skills come later I guess), but I always made time for the poetry group on campus. These Tuesday night excursions were a needed break, and led to meeting some of my best friends. Even if it’s for only an hour, your mind will thank you for the break later.

2) Eat a Vegetable (or Two)

Look I’m not saying you have to eat like the raw- vegan, super fit insta model you follow, but everybody need some good old leafy greens in their diet. I can’t even begin to count the amount of pizza and fries I ate at Lakeside my freshman year (it’s the bomb), but both my mind and body paid for those fantastically poor decisions. I love carbs as much as the next gal, nd honestly people need to stop hating on this truly essential nutrient.  Still, lots of carbs slow you down, make you tired, and don’t fill you up. In short too much can make you feel like a walking zombie. When you don’t feel well physically, it can really take a toll on your mood and brain power. So skip the pizza, the hamburger, or the third piece of chicken, and eat your vegetables (mom was right all along). You’ll load up on some tasty food while boosting your mood.

3) Work it Out

Like the steamed veggie line, the gym is an often neglected spot on campus. Sure you would go once or twice every few weeks, but you’re too busy to take the time. I get it. Like I said earlier making time for yourself can feel impossible, but it’s the only way to avoid burnout your freshman year. I wish I could say I went to the gym five days a week and ate all my veggies, but both were definitely missing from my routine freshman year. I can say, however, when I did finally kick my butt in gear and go to the gym I felt AMAZING. Fifteen minutes on the row machine and some weights really get out all the negative energy leaving you clear headed and ready to tackle anything college throws at you. If you don’t want to go at it alone, take a friend, or attend one of the many classes UA has to offer everyday. And always remember, you don’t look as crazy as you think, no one cares anyway.

4) GO TO SLEEP

I cannot stress this enough. You need sleep. It is not optional, you are not Wonder Woman. The assignments can wait (you’re not going to get any good work done anyway). Staying up into the wee hours of the night is never as good an idea as you think, and isn’t the best morale booster. I know that I require 7 hours of sleep each night (I want like 10) and anything less leaves me groggy, grumpy, and unmotivated, so I schedule around it. The key is to find a time that works best for you and stick to it. Getting enough rest will keep your mind sharp and you mood solid. Just put yourself to bed, be your own parent.

5) Talk to Someone

If you still can’t handle the stress, loneliness, or any other emotion that comes with college, talk to someone. This is a big transition and a ton of responsibility. There’s absolutely no shame in talking to your friends, family, or even a professional about what your dealing with in college or otherwise.  Sometimes a good chat with an old friend can help. Other times, when things get more overwhelming try to find a professional to ask for advice. The University offers low priced counseling sessions, and there is a bus that can take you there. So take your lunch to go, and hop on over if you ever need to, and remember people have survived their freshman year.

Mads Romines

Alabama '22

Alabama native, Mads passes her time playing guitar, studying engineering, and obsessing over tattoos. Her love of Game of Thrones may be new, but her passion is unmet. When it is Alabama Football season you can find her screaming in the stands or in front of the TV. A Blount Scholar and Engineering student, Mads aims to become the worlds most prolific eco-home business woman the world has yet to see. You can find out more on her Instagram page: mads_romines