Be Positive Foundation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Name of organization: Be Positive Foundation for Childhood Cancer

What is your organization? “We’re an all-greek sponsored foundation on campus that raises money for the national Be Positive Foundation for Childhood Cancer. We fundraise, with our biggest event of the year being our annual spin-a-thon and also have adopted a local “Be Positive Hero,” a local boy with cancer.”

What is the objective of your organization? “Our objective is to raise funds for children and families with children battling childhood cancer, which is the most deadly disease amongst children.”

What events do you usually hold throughout the year? “Our biggest event of  the year is our spin-a-thon! It is held in October and this year will be on Oct. 3 from 12-6 p.m in the Presidential Village Rec Center Spin Studio. We also hold fundraisers throughout the year such as cookouts and restaurants nights. Our executive team also has monthly interactions with our Be Positive Hero, Nicholas. These interactions are super fun and really boost his morale while he’s sick. For example, we hand delivered over 200 Valentines written by Pi Phi, Phi Mu, and ADPi in February and opened them with him. In April, we had him throw out the first pitch at a Alabama Baseball game and were there to cheer him on. Greek chapters have the option of sponsoring an interaction with him, which we highly encourage chapters to do as it is extremely fun and rewarding!”

How can others get involved in your organization? “If anyone would like to get involved, they can contact bpositivefoundationalabama@gmail.com.”

What is your favorite part about your organization? “I love being able to work with our Be Positive Hero, Nicholas. When I see the smile on his face, all the hard work we do is worth it. I love that we can make his life a little bit easier and more fun while he is battling cancer. I know his Mother also really appreciates the family grants we have provided them with, as the medical costs associated with childhood cancer can be so high.” – Rachel Sodee

For more information, please contact Rachel Sodee, Co-Executive Director, at bpositivefoundationalabama@gmail.com

Social media handles: Instagram: @bepositivefdnalabama Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uabepositive/

Helmi Henkin

Alabama '18

Helmi is a senior at The University of Alabama from Menlo Park, California studying psychology and French. She has been to 78 countries on seven continents! Her favorites are Finland (since that's where her family lives), Bali and Antarctica. When she's not in class or traveling she loves reading, singing and songwriting, and hanging out with friends.