This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Alabama chapter.

Your body is a temple. KNOW THIS MANTRA, repeat this mantra to your friends and above all, live this mantra. But sometimes from binging on Vyvanse for that all-nighter in the library to those week long, alcohol oriented celebrations like spring break, it’s not so easy to practice what you preach when it comes to self care. Maybe you need to detox from school, people or vodka sodas, but the first step in restoring your body’s equilibrium is with some self love and TLC. Making sure you keep up with the housekeeping in your temple is essential to not only superficial things like clear skin and no dark circles under your eyes, but also for your mental health. Taking care of yourself is way more important than cramming an extra three hours for the test or saying yes to plans you’d rather sleep through. So when you’re feeling stretched thin – shut your planner, turn your phone on Do Not Disturb and pull your blackout curtains shut. In other words, close the doors to your temple for a while so you can focus on you. So now that you’ve put aside time for the most important person in your live, how exactly do you go about (rightfully) living on the selfish side of life? I’m here to help with several ways to mellow out.

1) Meditate

I know, I used to be skeptical of blankly marinating in my own thoughts silently too. However after constantly losing battles with that inner voice of mine, I decided to give the meditation thing a try and ended up loving it. Silence is golden and so is the peacefulness that is the product of a few minutes of sitting up straight and concentrating on my breathing. So plop down, get cross legged, dim the lights and maybe look for a meditation guide app or YouTube video.  I personally like the app ‘Calm’ (the name says it all) or the app Meditation Studio. For a more directed meditation for the beginner, I would suggest ‘Guided Meditation – Deep Relaxation’ video on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7iBnp8T6nY

2) Do That Thing You Never Have Time For

Maybe you used to run for miles when you didn’t have two essays and 100 pages to read for class. Maybe you bought a journal one inspiring afternoon, but haven’t filled more than three pages in it. Maybe your yoga mat is gathering dust and your Lulus see the couch more than the mat these days.

Regardless, set aside some time to go jogging or get into downward doggy for an hour.

3) Bake 

There are few things better than decluttering your mind while simultaneously channeling your inner Betty Crocker. You can have your cake and eat it too! Use that flour that’s been shoved to the back of your pantry. Make your kitchen smell like the inside of Cinnabon. Concentrate only on mixing the batter and nothing else. Comfort food calories don’t count!

4) Deep Clean Body, Mind, Soul and Your Room

The room is the window to your soul and no one wants their soul to look like dirty laundry on the floor and empty Starbucks cups stacked on your desk. Wash your sheets, light a candle, clean out your closet.

5) The Tried and True Method of a Bubble Bath

A simplistic self-care tip, but don’t fix something that’s not broken. I know some people are very anti-bath, but I believe a good bubble bath is the closest to heaven I can get naked. It is a testament to classic ‘Me Time.’ Turn the water as hot as your skin can handle it, play that chill playlist and apply a face mask while you’re in there. Don’t forget the Lush bath bomb. I’m a sucker for a good bath bomb. There’s nothing like soaking in sparkly red scented water with brown mud clearing out my pores.

Don’t forget to give yourself a little love.

Photo sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Cover Photo by Hernan Sanchez on Unsplash

I'm a senior at the University of Alabama where I study Journalism and pursuing a minor in Political Science. While I love writing, politics are still growing on me. I'm originally from Gulfport, Mississippi but I have lived in four other states along with a brief stint in Dublin, Ireland. Outside of school I like to detox from homework with binge watching The Office, going (with lots of struggling) to Pilates classes and forcing my friends to watch rom-coms with me.
Kristen is a senior at The University of Alabama majoring in English and minoring in journalism and creative writing. She loves music festivals, reading, Alabama Football, and binge watching Food Network. She serves as Health Chair for the Beta Rho Chapter of Alpha Omega Epsilon. After graduation, she will be moving to Indianapolis to teach through Teach For America.