This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Akron chapter.

Self isolating is not the doctor’s orders for someone with depression. However, during these crazy times, social distancing is absolutely necessary. This can prove to be an issue for people who find being out and about helpful with their depression symptoms. 

Keeping busy has always been good for my mental health, which was perfect because I am always busy. However, recently I have had a whole lot of time to do nothing. Adjusting to this new way of life has been hard but I know I’m only one of many feeling this way. Here are some ways to get through this strange time if you struggle with depression.

Make a “Sanity List”

My first coping strategy is borrowed from a couple friends of mine. We all lost our jobs at the same time but as I headed for the couch to begin an endless Netflix binge, they grabbed paper and pen and began a “Sanity List.”  This list contained what they did during the day to keep busy. This included things like yoga, cooking, and walks. This is a great way to avoid lurking in the shadows of your house and actually taking time to do things you enjoy.

Get Outside

The sun does amazing things for depression. It boosts serotonin levels in your brain, ensures you have enough vitamin D and energizes you. Going for a 30 minute walk everyday, jogging a few miles or even just sitting outside absorbing the rays might be the pick me up you’ve been waiting for. If this is an effective strategy for you consider investing in a Happy Light and some vitamin d supplements. Take vitamin D every day and on cloudy days spend 10+ minutes in front of your Happy Light. You can find vitamins at your grocery store and the link for the Happy light I own (and love)  here.

Practice Daily Self Care

First things first, basic hygiene is a must. Even if you aren’t planning on seeing the light of day until this is all over you should be showering, brushing teeth and hair etc. With that being said, taking time to do a self care task, like a face mask or bubble bath is a great idea. I don’t know if having your toenails painted or exfoliating your entire body can really cure depression. What I do know is, being kind to yourself is important and only becomes more important when you start feeling depressed.

Go Offline

From online schoolwork, to Tik Tok scrolling, you probably spend a decent amount of time staring at a screen. The Blue light emitted from screens is hard on your eyes and can even cause insomnia. Considering depression also causes insomnia, it’s a good idea to make sure you aren’t overdoing it with the screens. Take a break  and relax with an activity that doesn’t require electronics. You could curl up with a nice book,bake some sweets or work on a craft. If you don’t know what you like to do, try something new out! Use this time as an opportunity to enjoy simple things before the world starts up again.

Express Yourself

Even if you don’t struggle with depression, all this spare time is probably leading you to having some feely-feels. If you do struggle, your feely-feels might be very intense at moments. Channel all these emotions into your art. Even if you aren’t an “artist” you can still have a form of “art.” Your art should be an outlet and a way for you to express yourself creatively. Some people paint or draw while others write in journals. You don’t have to show anyone or even be good at it for it to be beneficial to you.

Prioritize Regular Communication

Whether you’re on your own or couped up with others, talking to people you haven’t seen is important. Besides maintaining friendships this may give you much needed time to vent about the news,your roommates or just life in general. Connecting with others is a way to prevent over-isolating yourself and anyways, who doesn’t feel better after a good heart to heart with a pal?

Madeline Myers is a 2020 graduate of the University of Akron. She has a B.A. English with a minor in Creative Writing. At Her Campus, Madeline enjoys writing movie and TV reviews. Her personal essay “Living Room Saloon” is published in the 2019 issue of The Ashbelt. Madeline grew up in Zanesville, Ohio. She loves quoting comedians, reading James Baldwin, and sipping on grape soda. She fears a future run by robots but looks forward to the day when her stories are read by those outside of her immediate family.